Mixing coccidiosis vaccinated chicks with unvaccinated chicks

Terriy

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
If I purchase coccidiosis vaccinated standard chicks from a hatchery and purchase unvaccinated bantam chicks from a different hatchery, can they all eat unmedicated feed in the same brooder or do I need to feed them separately and how long before I can put them together?

You should be able to keep them together as long as you keep the bedding dry and feeders with sufficient feed to keep them from pecking feces.
I never feed medicated feed.
That's what I needed to know. My chicks are all coming the end of March and one of the hatcheries doesn't vaccinate for cocci, so I didn't have the option with them. Thanks so much! 😊

Or, get them all without that vaccination, and feed medicated chick starter to all of them.
If you actually have a problem with coccidiosis in your flock, the medicated feed is a better choice. If your property doesn't have lots of coccidia, unmedicated feed is fine.
Last summer, for the first time, our April chicks had some bloody stools, so we had to treat them for coccidiosis. It was hot a wet, so that's likely the issue, after over twenty years of not having to feed medicated chick starter. From now on, our new chicks get the medicated starter.
Mary

Last edited:
Or, get them all without that vaccination, and feed medicated chick starter to all of the.
If you actually have a problem with coccidiosis in your flock, the medicated feed is a better choice. If your property doesn't have lots of coccidia, unmedicated feed is fine.
Last summer, for the first time, our April chicks had some bloody stools, so we had to treat them for coccidiosis. It was hot a wet, so that's likely the issue, after over twenty years of not having to feed medicated chick starter. From now on, our new chicks get the medicated starter.
Mary
That's a great idea! Thanks 😊

Back
Top Bottom