New 1 week old chicks with runny poop

teamtmo

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 25, 2015
Simi Valley, CA
I bought 6 new chicks from Kahoots in Moorpark two days ago. They are about 1 week old and have all been vaccinated by the hatchery for Mareks and Coccidiosis.
They were eating non-medicated feed at the feed store.
When I brought them home, I introduced them to a mix of non-medicated feed and medicated feed. I figured I wanted to be safe since they are chicks from a feed store. I noticed a couple of them have runny poops. It seems like the couple chicks I noticed with runny poop also have some normal poops.
Since bringing them home and giving them medicated feed for the past two days, I have noticed more runny poops in the brooder now from more chicks. There are still normal poops, but it seems all the chicks are having some runny poop as well.
Could the medicated feed be causing their runny poop? They are so young and I know their tummies are sensitive.
Should I take them off the medicated feed since they were supposedly vaccinated for Coccidiosis?
They seem healthy and active, except for one who has been sneezing for the past day and a half but is otherwise fine.
It has been 6 years since I have raised chicks, so I feel like a total newbie. I remember one of my chicks from my first flock 8 years ago had wry neck. I was able to nurse her back to health. I remember the medicated feed had something to do with it, so I changed the feed for those chicks. They were chicks that I hatched myself though, so I knew everything about them.
This current flock of chicks came from a feed store, so who knows what they went through before I brought them home. That's why I am mixing medicated feed in with their regular feed.

I've used both medicated and non-medicated and don't see anything different between the chicks that get one or the other. I would think mixing it isn't doing too much good though as there is already such a low amount of amprolium in it, to halve it reduces its effectiveness, although, it's better than nothing if you are trying to build up their immunity.

For runny poop, they make Sav A Chick (electrolytes and probiotics) or Hydro-Hen (the same thing) that can help. You give them that as their only source of water for a full day, then fresh water the next day, then another day of the probiotic water. That should end the diarrhea.

Medicated feed does absolutely no good for vaccinated chicks, so I wouldn't bother feeding it to those.

I bought 6 new chicks from Kahoots in Moorpark two days ago. They are about 1 week old and have all been vaccinated by the hatchery for Mareks and Coccidiosis.
When I brought them home, I introduced them to a mix of non-medicated feed and medicated feed. I figured I wanted to be safe since they are chicks from a feed store. I noticed a couple of them have runny poops. It seems like the couple chicks I noticed with runny poop also have some normal poops.
Since bringing them home and giving them medicated feed for the past two days, I have noticed more runny poops in the brooder now from more chicks. There are still normal poops, but it seems all the chicks are having some runny poop as well.
Could the medicated feed be causing their runny poop? They are so young and I know their tummies are sensitive.
Should I take them off the medicated feed since they were supposedly vaccinated for Coccidiosis?
They seem healthy and active, except for one who has been sneezing for the past day and a half but is otherwise fine.
It has been 6 years since I have raised chicks, so I feel like a total newbie. I remember one of my chicks from my first flock 8 years ago had wry neck. I was able to nurse her back to health. I remember the medicated feed had something to do with it, so I changed the feed for those chicks. They were chicks that I hatched myself though, so I knew everything about them.
This current flock of chicks came from a feed store, so who knows what they went through before I brought them home. That's why I am mixing medicated feed in with their regular feed.
My 2 cents, based on a podcast I just listened to yesterday
I'd say stop the medicated feed.
They had a couple guys from Nutrina come on. I forget both job positions, but one was like head of nutritional development, so they know a lot. Anyway, one said to make sure to only feed them medicated feed of they WEREN'T vaccinated for coccidiosis. If you feed them the medicated feed, it fights the vaccine and is worse. Basically, either vaccinations or that feed, but not both.

I do understand why you wanted to feed it, but if the feed store cared enough to get chicks with both vaccinations, then they're probably taking pretty good care of them. They certainly don't want to be selling sick stock to people.

Back
Top Bottom