Jerry’s Serama Chick Formula & Chick Grit

ThatChickMele

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2024
I have been feeding my now 3 week old Serama chicks Jerry’s Chick Formula (cornmeal, oatmeal, medicated feed, black soldier fly larvae ground up fine). Should I be offering them chick grit too since there is more than just the starter feed in the recipe? Even chick grit looks big for their tiny beaks.

Attachments

• IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 6
Chick grit is just fine. Offer it free-choice. From seeing what you are feeding,,,, grit is fine to give,,, but not essential. It is needed when chicks start to eat larger grains, (scratch feed) or greens. I know greens are somewhat soft. They do need to be ground (in gizzard) so they digest well.
How may Seramas do you have??? I have a few. Some are mixed with game hen bantams.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Chick grit is just fine. Offer it free-choice. From seeing what you are feeding,,,, grit is fine to give,,, but not essential. It is needed when chicks start to eat larger grains, (scratch feed) or greens. I know greens are somewhat soft. They do need to be ground (in gizzard) so they digest well.
How may Seramas do you have??? I have a few. Some are mixed with game hen bantams.

Thanks so much for your response and your warm welcome! I (currently 😆) have 5 3-week old chicks (2 I’m fostering for a friend) . My first serama had a tragic death at 5 wks old. “She” hooked me into this wonderful serama world! I had no idea about them until my chicken dealer said she had one and I would love her. I also have 2 silkies, 2 cream legbars and 1 blue olive egger. Soon to also get a bantam mottled cochin and a couple of d’Uccles. This chicken math is real. 😅 But I plan to really get into raising and breeding seramas, I just love them!

Back
Top Bottom