Mixing different breeds together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Penguinlvrparadise, May 18, 2011.

1. Penguinlvrparadise

Penguinlvrparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Bedford Co PA
    I currently have Mallards and Pekins. I am thinking about getting a Cayuga and a black indian runner and a tufted buff goose. Do you think it will be alright to get just 1 of each breed since they won't be alone. As soon as they are big enough they will join the flock. Do you think it will "hurt" them to be the only one of their kind? Thanks for any input!!

2. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I really don't think so, to a duck another duck is just a duck, they don't tend to pay attention to breed or coloration and will mix easily,
    Not having another of their specific breed shouldn't bother them.

Its more like having different breeds of dogs together, they are all the same species so they all speak the same language

If you know what I mean.

3. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I have harlequins, swedish, runners, pekins, a goose and chickens all together during the day. At night they have seperate pens. It hasn't hurt mine any. Mine have almost an acre fenced-in area to run in.

4. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I would get the 2 new ones at the same time so they can have each other at first.

I have 3 mallard/rouens not sure which they are. They are 8 weeks old. 3 Pekins that are 6 1/2 weeks old. And 7 Cayugas that are 3 weeks old. They all get along good now. The Cayugas know they older ducks are the boss. But they all go every where together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by