Mixing different chick ages

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlexKilpatrick, Jun 1, 2011.

1. AlexKilpatrick

AlexKilpatrick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I recently hatched some chicks who are now about 4 days old. I didn't get quite as many as I wanted, so I was going to buy some chicks to integrate with them. I assume the ones I buy will be one day old, but I won't be able to get them until next week, so there will be an age differential of about 2 weeks.

Will there be an issue integrating them? Is there anything special I should do?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They will be fine. Keep an eye on them for the first half hour just to make sure. You really shouldn't have a problem unless the older chicks were 4-5 weeks or older. My whole flock is a huge varity of age. I have 4 week olds all the way up to 11 week olds with 2 chicks being the same age. I'm having a problem integrating the babies with the 3 oldest(10-11 week olds). They are all in the coop, the babies are in a wire dog kennel to keep them safe.

I mixed ages safely up to 4 weeks of age with the older ones. Once they get a little older, the older ones do not like the newcomers. I have 8 chicks with 7 different breeds. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's worth the extra effort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by