Mixing Grains for Feed verses Buying Corporate Crumbles...

JJ,

I'll confess I started skimming at about page 5. First and most importantly, you have resources available to you that you may not realize. You buy Fertrell, as a fertrell customer you have access to their nutritional staff and they'll be happy to help you develop recipes that work for your location. Odds are they can tell you which mills are closest to you who will either make you a custom blend or produce a blend that is already solid. I truest Fertrell. They won't sell it if it doesn't meet their quality and cleanliness standards.

I'll try to address some highlights:

Cherry picking feed: Birds if given an endless supply of grain based feed will cherry pick and not do well for themselves for the most part. Commercial Grass Based growers feed 4 1/2 ounces per bird divided into two feedings per day. Generally less in the morning and more in the evening. Studies of residual feed left in trays has shown limited quantities of grain meals. No nutri-balancer, fish or crab meal was left behind. And very little grain meal was left behind.

Flavor & tenderness: Regardless of breed, birds fed a good clean ration and provided fresh grass taste far better to me, than anything in the store. That said, you get a LOT more flavor in the 2 year old bird than the 8 week old bird. The older the bird the tougher the bird. So it's a trade off to find the right balance for application.

My Values: My customers and I just want clean, good tasting food. Once they understand the Organic game, they're generally not hard over about it. Clean, means no pesticides and no herbicides and no genetically modified proteins (and fish that comes from clean water). I'm trying to work out logistics to get my feed from a Mennonite family in VA. The feed is $14 - $18 per bag, is clean but costs $200 to ship 10-50 bags here. But it's really good and proven feed. You're a lot closer to Fertrell than I am, so I'd recommend reaching out to them. I can run a nutritional analysis of the recipes you've presented but they will as well and are far better educated on the subject than I am.

Price: If you can find an Amish mill near you, that grows their own grains and uses Fertrell recipes and ingredients, it's not uncommon to find really fresh feed for $11-$14 for 50#s.

The biggest problem I have with making my own feed is volume and storage capacity. Depending on oil content in the grains, storing in a cool dark place can give you extended shelf life. But I still don't have the capacity to store or mill what I use. I have a known good quality source of feed 7 hours round trip south from me and a likely good quality feed 4 hours round trip north of me.

I've enjoyed your thread and have been in many like this one, but this one seems to stay on the high road better. Best of luck to you.

I see 'fish meal' as a huge black hole, as far as it's origin and quality. Farmed fish aren't so good as far as contaminants are concerned, and that would concern me if there was actually any available around here. I don't have storage space or interest in making chicken feed at home, but more power to you if it works for you!
Mary

I see 'fish meal' as a huge black hole, as far as it's origin and quality. Farmed fish aren't so good as far as contaminants are concerned, and that would concern me if there was actually any available around here. I don't have storage space or interest in making chicken feed at home, but more power to you if it works for you!
Mary
That's why I will only buy fish or crab meal from Fertrell. A few years ago, they couldn't get clean fish meal so they simply wouldn't sell it.

Thanks and I do appreciate and enjoy the input.
Of the folks that do Mix Grains or recommend Recipes, Gail Damerow, Joel Salatin, Maat at the FrugalChicken, Justin Rhodes, and many others, if THEY posted here...Would so many Naysayers, and " You're not a Professional Chicken Nutritionist..." Proponents, respond to their Threads? :)
There HAS to be Someone here that, even though they are only going to buy Commercial Feeds or from a local Mill they trust, can say, " If you follow ___________'s_Recipe, Your Chickens will be as healthy as any eating Commercial Feed! "
I imagine even the Big Boys squabble.
Go to a Chicken Expo and Feed Show and the Manna Pro guys will likely tell you Dumor is garbage, who think Kaytee is crapolla, who will tell you Purina shouldn't even be fed to Hogs!.
It becomes a daunting task for a Newbie or even a Veteran, looking to make a change, to decide on a direction to go. I am totally fascinated by the Depth of possibilites one can explore in 2019, when, not too many Decades ago, Letting your Flock roam the Yard and toss a couple of Handfuls of Corn and/or other Grains grown or purchased at BoBo's Feeds and Needs, was Standard Operating Procedure, for Thousands of Families...JJ

Not so many decades ago, chickens were smaller, layed many fewer eggs per year, and generally had a richer and more diverse 'free range' environment, than todays birds. And, most birds went into the pot by fall, so they didn't need food over winter, at least up in snow country.
Home made feed is great, if done right. It's more work than I have time or energy to do.
Mary

Thanks and I do appreciate and enjoy the input.
Of the folks that do Mix Grains or recommend Recipes, Gail Damerow, Joel Salatin, Maat at the FrugalChicken, Justin Rhodes, and many others, if THEY posted here...Would so many Naysayers, and " You're not a Professional Chicken Nutritionist..." Proponents, respond to their Threads? :)
There HAS to be Someone here that, even though they are only going to buy Commercial Feeds or from a local Mill they trust, can say, " If you follow ___________'s_Recipe, Your Chickens will be as healthy as any eating Commercial Feed! "
I imagine even the Big Boys squabble.
Go to a Chicken Expo and Feed Show and the Manna Pro guys will likely tell you Dumor is garbage, who think Kaytee is crapolla, who will tell you Purina shouldn't even be fed to Hogs!.
It becomes a daunting task for a Newbie or even a Veteran, looking to make a change, to decide on a direction to go. I am totally fascinated by the Depth of possibilites one can explore in 2019, when, not too many Decades ago, Letting your Flock roam the Yard and toss a couple of Handfuls of Corn and/or other Grains grown or purchased at BoBo's Feeds and Needs, was Standard Operating Procedure, for Thousands of Families...JJ
If you'd like them, I have the polyface pastured poultry recipes as well as sample SPN and fertrell recipes.

Not so many decades ago, chickens were smaller, layed many fewer eggs per year, and generally had a richer and more diverse 'free range' environment, than todays birds. And, most birds went into the pot by fall, so they didn't need food over winter, at least up in snow country.
Home made feed is great, if done right. It's more work than I have time or energy to do.
Mary

Lots of great comments in this post.

Back
Top Bottom