Mixing Issue

rccrosby

Chirping
12 Years
May 6, 2010
I seem to be having an issue mixing my 16 week old pullet into my flock of 10 hens and 1 roo. I started over 2 months ago by putting her in a dog kennel(sorry if this is wrong) in the coop at nite and during the day in a sectioned off part of the run.Last week I started mixing her into the run for "meet and greet" time.At first it was pretty rough but it settled down, she follows the roo around and he doesn't seem bothered by her the problem is with the hens.There is the normal chasing her in the run and a peck here and there.The issue comes when they chase her into the coop,they pin her down and attack her.I have had to pull them off her more than once.I'm confused with this behavior because she has been in the coop for so long.My husband says just put her in there and let them figure it out but i scared they will hurt her.What should i do?

I have read that pulling a single hen from your flock and isolating her till she is lonely, and add your pullet to her, they become friends, and then reintroduce the pair to the flock. Life is always better if you have a friend. It is difficult introducing a single bird to an established flock.

Mrs.K

Mrs. K :

I have read that pulling a single hen from your flock and isolating her till she is lonely, and add your pullet to her, they become friends, and then reintroduce the pair to the flock. Life is always better if you have a friend. It is difficult introducing a single bird to an established flock.

Mrs.K

I agree, or take out the most aggressive bird and put her with the flock. I had one hen that would initially start the bullying. I took her out of the flock for a few days then put her back. She still bullied but was better. I also put a second pop door in the coop for an escape route.​

She is outnumbered even though she's bigger. I would do what the other poster suggested: put the lone girl in with a couple of the others and separate them. Keep them separated from the rest of the flock for a few days or even one or two weeks, as long as you can, and then re-integrate them.

I do have six 12 week old EE and two 10 week olds(that i hatched on my son's birthday ).Should I just try mixing them all in at once or are they still to young to go in with 1 year olds?They too have been in coop for weeks and in a seperate run next to the "big girls". Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom