Mixing Layings Hens and chicks together?

Quote:
I have 9-wk old chicks and I am about to put them int the "big coop" tomorrow. I am going to be getting more baby chicks again and will keep them in my little brooder baby chick coop for at least a couple months before integrating them. The process I have done before is to put the small "coop" inside the big coop where they can see, smell and interact, but not suffer pecking until they are big enough then let them mix.

Picture of my baby coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80556_chick_coop_001.jpg

Wow that is one heck of a brooder! I love it! Perhaps I might do what you have suggested when we get more chicks down the road. We plan on building our own brooder next year...this year we used a 30 gallon rubbermaid tote...the chicks out grew it at 5 weeks!

Quote:
Broody Hens!!! They are supposed to defend the chicks against the other chickens (they sometimes aren't protective enough but you get the idea).

Broody hens take a lot of the work away, although some people separate their broody hens anyway.

Last edited:
nurseronda, that baby coop is awesome!! I wish I could have one like it. My brooders are usually made out of larger bird cages or very big cardboard boxes with the light suspended...I like that you can see your babies at eye level if you wish.
I'd agree with everyone on keeping the chicks and hens separated for a month or so and then place them side by side so they can check each other out without hurting one another. Good luck with the integration when it happens, BeccaSmith.

Back
Top Bottom