Mixing new babies with old babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChcknLady, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    Ok guys I'm in totally unfamiliar territory now. I have 7 1 1/2 week old chicks that are in the brooder doing terrific. I rescued 2 3 day old chicks from TSC yesterday and they are in another brooder trying to recuperate and get better (1 is missing half a toe, someone pecked it and the other is so tiny her eyes weren't even open till last night and the others kept pecking her eyes!). How and when do I combine the two (if the 2 live)? or do I just suck it up and build another coop!!

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I'd keep them separated, esp w/the little rescued ones being hurt. The older ones will injure them even worse.

3. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    You can keep the little sick ones in a pet carrier until they get strong enough, then divide the main brooder with screen so they get used to each other before you mix them in together. Preferably at night when they are clueless. Then watch them closely to see if they get along before you resign yourself to building another coop.
    I know you just want to build another coop though LOL

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I always mix mine when I move them to a new place. In the new surroundings, its nobody's territory. Last night I moved mine to a new brooder in the coop. I put the younger ones in first, then the older ones, food and water. It helps if you withhold the food and water even for just an hour or so before the move. Everybody is so busy checking out the new place and getting food and water, I don't even think they noticed. They were about 3 weeks and 5 weeks old.

5. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jenjscott,

What a great idea. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds terricfic. I wll have to do that when i introduce my brooders to the big gal coop...

I too have a brooder full of different aged chick, majority of them are already into their 6th week, and toe last 4 are into their third week. I have ababygate dividing the brooder so the little ones are safe, but yesterday I raised the gate a little bit of the ground so the little ones can run back and forth, but the big mean ones can't bother them on their side. It has worked out great, actually yesterday I had two of the babies sit next to one of the older ones on the roost and it looked hilarious....it was like..."how are you doin'?" and the larger chick had no clue how to react...so she just left them alone. A few more days and then i will try to see if they are ready for the divider to come out.

Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by