mixing of chicks pullets and feed

cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Villa Grove
I have a question/problem. I have mixed my 9 month old pullets and my 5 and 9 weeks out together. BUT, What about the feed I know the chiks should not eat the laying feed and the layes should not be eating the growing feed but how do you stop them? I have tried to spilt it up in different areas but no go.
barnie.gif

hmmmm, my local farm store told me it was okay to let the chicks eat the layer feed at 6 weeks. I have the 7 wo chicks out with my adult hens now and can't keep them from eating the others food. The person I spoke with suggested mixing the 2 feeds together until the chicks got used to the layer feed. Is this bad? This is very confusing.

From what I understand, layer feed containers a lot of calcium, which the older chickens need to replenish the supply they use when laying eggs. But too much calcium for younger chicks is hard on their kidney (or is it liver?), either way it's hard on one their organs.

So what is one to do? I am in the same situation as cheapcheap_jeepjeep .
I have six 10wo pullets with a 4 yo hen in the coop and run.
The hen has gained way too much these past weeks raising the chicks and eating mostly chick starter.
I think I need to get her back on a better diet for her, but how to do this and keep the younger girls away from it?
In addition to that problem, here is another wrinkle:
providing the hen with oyster shell again yet keeping it away from the 10wo girls?
What does everyone else do? Suggestions (Other than splitting them up please)?

I think we really need some advice from the experienced people here. HELP!! Mudhen, I have oyster shell out all the time too and don't see how to keep the little ones out of it. Thanks for starting this thread cheapcheap_jeepjeep.

Would it be possible to put the adult food up higher?

And if you want to keep the 'baby' food away from the adults... here is what I plan on doing.

I'm going to build a pen that is inside my coup that has openings the babies can easily go into but the bigger adults can't then I will put the baby food in there. I have seen this done on a larger scale with cows to make sure the calves get access to hay without being pushed away buy the adults. They have a electric wire set acros one of the barns openings that is high enough for the shorter calves to pass under but low enough that the adults can not. Then they have hay (and I think feed) in there that is just for the little ones.

Varisha

I have put the laying feed up higher we placed the feeder about 12 inches of the floor in the coop by the nest boxes but,
he.gif
I find the little ones flying in and setting in eating it.

silly chicks

girlsnboys
No problem starting this thread

mudhen
I have the oyster shells out and I have yet to see the chicks eat it.

WHAT TO DO WITH SILLY CHICKENS BUT LAUGH
th.gif

I know! Goofy birds.
love.gif

I've the problem sort in reverse Varisha! My hen is a bantam and the girls already are as big or larger than she is!
he.gif

I'm sure we can't be the only ones in this dilema.
hu.gif
Hope one of the wise ones reads this thread and gives us sage advice!

Quote:
Mudhen, I'm having the same problem here and my hens are starting to look like bowling balls since I put the chicks outside (chick starter for everyone).
D.gif
I put out oyster shell free choice and the hens ignored it, but the 8wk chicks devoured it like candy.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom