Mixing Rooster Booster in advance?

kdmpa4

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
I'm giving some potentially ailing chicks Rooster Booster powder in their water to help them.
I mixed a gallon of the water last night and have been using it to refill their water through the day.
How long can I keep a gallon premixed? Do I need to refrigerate? (I didnt and I dont want cold chicks) It seems like it might take a few days for them to go through it.
I want to make sure they are getting the benefits and that it isnt turning.

I mix the vitamin and electrolyte mix in a large waterer that lasts 3 to 5 days, depending on the weather. Your pre-mixed gallon should be fine, just as long as the sun doesn’t hit it. UV will kill the lactobacillus. Once your chicks get better, stop use of it. Too much salts are not good. It’s only meant for use in times of stress.

I mix the vitamin and electrolyte mix in a large waterer that lasts 3 to 5 days, depending on the weather. Your pre-mixed gallon should be fine, just as long as the sun doesn’t hit it. UV will kill the lactobacillus. Once your chicks get better, stop use of it. Too much salts are not good. It’s only meant for use in times of stress.
I'm not there yet, but how long is too long? I'm thinking about a week if I dont see more symptoms.

1 with lethargy. Maybe a little hunched. Maybe just maybe a pink tinge to the poop if you really squint and look for it. His chirp was raspy a bit.
And 1 who has a vent that looks dark and swollen but no symptoms and is pooping fine.
A third who has had a dark purple bruise looking spot on its belly since it came home 2 weeks ago.
The one who died had zero symptoms and just dropped dead.

Tractor supply chicks.
I got 6 (3 ee and 3 bantam 2 weeks ago) and 4 more EE 4 days after from a different tractor supply batch.
They all seemed fine except the bantam with the "bruise" until a different bantam died suddenly on Friday. I noticed the one with the dark vent that night and my daughter found the lethargic one the next day. I didnt think it would make it through the night, but that's when I started the rooster booster and medicated feed (I know that's a stretch but it made my daughter feel better to do so)
As of this morning we haven't lost any more and the lethargic one has stopped sleeping away from the rest (he slept off by himself in a corner, it was sad)

Keep up the electrolytes and I hope they continue to improve. I wouldn’t go past a week on them. You can switch to apple cider vinegar after that.

Keep up the electrolytes and I hope they continue to improve. I wouldn’t go past a week on them. You can switch to apple cider vinegar after that.
How do I know if too much rooster booster is too much my egg layer is sick and has been for a lil longer than a week and I've been giving her rooster booster through a medicine syringe she isn't getting better what do I do ??

Back
Top Bottom