Mixing Serama and Egger chicks for starter flock?

Birdpants

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
San Francisco CA
I’m an urban dweller who has dreamed of pet chickens for twenty years. I mostly want them for companionship and entertainment, but eggs would be nice too! I really only want 3-4 birds, 6 at most. I’m buying chicks from a local farm (known particularly for raising gentle birds fwiw). If I raise these breeds from chicks together, they should get along fine, right?

I’m an urban dweller who has dreamed of pet chickens for twenty years. I mostly want them for companionship and entertainment, but eggs would be nice too! I really only want 3-4 birds, 6 at most. I’m buying chicks from a local farm (known particularly for raising gentle birds fwiw). If I raise these breeds from chicks together, they should get along fine, right?
Are the chicks sexed?
That’s the main thing.
If they aren’t, half or more will be roosters.
So if you will eat the roos, get like 10 chicks to start. Half or less will be female.
About the breeds....
If the Eggers are bantams, it’s fine.
If they are standard size, don’t do it.

Seramas and standard Easter Eggers get along fine. Mine were not raised together, but raising them together is the best. Seramas are actually hardy and if you are in SF it will not be bad.

Back
Top Bottom