mixing standard and bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhythmicgoldfish, Mar 29, 2009.

1. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    i would like to have two silver sebrights hens and four standard hens in the same coop wll they be ok with the bigger hens? the larger hens will be marans or oliveeggers a nh red and a buff orp

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    It usually depends on who you ask, but I say go for it. We have a Golden Sebright Rooster, along with 3 mixed bantam hens in with our full size flock, and havent had any problems.
    Good luck!
    Jason

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    They will be just fine. I put alot of my bantams with my big chickens, and never had any types of problems.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I have a mixed flock. My smallest hen might weigh maybe 1 lb and I guess my biggest probably weighs around 5 lbs. I have a standard rooster. He doesn't mess with the tiny hen. The little ones can be quite feisty, when need be.

5. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We have 3 bantam hens and 1 bantam roo in with our 10 standard hens and we don't have any problems. In fact the roo is quite the ladies man with half of the standard hens, if only his efforts were not in vain. [​IMG] He tries so hard but the standard girls backs are the only part of them getting any action [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by