MMs free rare exotic chick!

Well, it is hard to tell what my free rare chick is since we ordered assorted "top hats" and assorted feather footed bantams. With so much variety, it is hard to separate and know who is who.

We THOUGHT we had a faverolle and he/she was our rare because she has 5toes, but she is feathering in white and McM doesn't offer the white faverolle, so who knows ;-)

Our replacement order did come with 6 EE's as packing peanuts and two of them appear to be female, but I have never heard of a hatchery using females as packing peanuts, so again, who knows and time will tell!

We were very pleased with our order and with McM customer service! No matter what the free chick is, we will be happy and love him or her.

Well, whatever it was, it was dead... :( I was otherwise happy with the birds though, the Japanese has long legs but oh well! I got all pullets, even the bantam! :) I lost both of my buttercups and one EE, but they were shipped through bad weather. The quality of the birds is pretty good!

Last edited:

Any guesses on what breed this is? It's the free exotic chick from mm.

I've ordered 25 Black Jersey Giants and 10 Speckled Sussex chicks, 1 free Black Jersey Giant, 1 free Speckled Sussex, 1 free exotic which is a GLP and 8 extra yellow fuzzies

Last edited:
I am new to chickens and I placed an order with McMurray last Oct for 47 chicks, 7 Jumbo X rocks, 5 RIR, 6 BR, 15 assorted, and 15 Rainbow layers. Chicks hatched Nov 7 got them the tenth. 2 died first day, 1 about a week later (he/she never seemed right). I called after the deaths and customer service was great and gave me credit. after the 3 rd death I had another acting like he was drunk called again and they again gave me credit. At about 14 weeks I had called again to inquire what exactly they sent. I had gotten the specific ones I had ordered but I needed to know which were part of the Rainbow layers and which were the 15 assorted. Once they were old enough to determine sex/breed I received 5 BR Roo's (I ordered 1) and 9 hens (ordered 5 and now I see one is a barred rock mix

darker than the other BR pullets and that tail is not BR).
), 1 RIR Roo and 4 hens which I ordered all, 7 Jumbo X rocks 1 roo rest hens I ordered, now the assorted...
he.gif
..... I have a pair of Cochins, a pair of SLW, what I think is a pair of Buff Orp's, 6 Dark Cornish 1 roo and the 5 pullets, 2 Jersey Giant pullets, 2 EE Roo's one bearded and tufted, the other just green legged, One unknown hen MM says its an EE but I find that hard to belive since it has a straight comb and willow legs.

. 4 Red stars pullets and a Roo (looks like a delaware but is showing red in cockles now in the above photo directly above her tail).
All and all it was a good experience. Being I got them in Nov and only lost 3, 2 on shipping which I cannot blame on MM but the PO. As for the assorted bunches, I would not do that again, my rainbow layers all turned out to be brown layers except for thed Roo's which wont lay. I am not impressed with the brown rainbow assortment I got. As for the 15 assorted I am gla I got so many pairs but the quality compaired to breeding stock is noticable. I spent about $150. Bang for the buck is there, if your only looking for eggs, yes the pullets will lay. I was highly disappointed with the rainbow collection. From the advertisement I was hoping for a white,blue brown shades but I got no white no blue and no dark brown Coocko. After I had ordered I had found this site so THEY may have biased me, but if I did it again I would go with breeders. There's is a couple in my area that I would love to purchase from that have Orps, Maran's and Top Hats but hind site is 20/20.
So in my opinion McMurray did only minor misleading things as for advertising and me expecting more than I had received. Would I ever order from them again.. I don't think so. I think the $$ spent with a breeder will give better quality chickens. Now if your only looking for bang for the buck and want a barn yard flock for eggs that's fine they can do that.

Last edited:
I recieved a brahma roo once that had a great temperment as an adult but grew into a huge monster chicken! :) I typically ordered 25-35 bantams and would get a standard sized free roo chick and 3-6 extras. "Blossom" at 3 months old (thought "he" was a "she" at first)

My chicks arrived in the mail today (6 buffs, 6 black stars, 3 egg layers)...PLUS 1. Here's my free exotic... with a yellow tuft on it's head. My husband says it looks like he/she's wearing a head dress. Any ideas on what this might be??

My chicks arrived in the mail today (6 buffs, 6 black stars, 3 egg layers)...PLUS 1. Here's my free exotic... with a yellow tuft on it's head. My husband says it looks like he/she's wearing a head dress. Any ideas on what this might be??
It is definatley a white crested black polish.

Back
Top Bottom