MN Backyard setup, new to SNOW!! Need Winter Advice

gertiebird001

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 25, 2012
Hi! Longtime Tx chicken raiser here, however I'm brand new to chickens in Minnesota and other winter climates that actually get SNOW!! Ha. I need to ask some VERY simple questions to get me on the right track.

Here is my setup: City backyard, two large trees but plenty of light and space. A 3' chain link fence surrounds the property, and the only predators are neighborhood cats and redtailed hawks (not unlike TX, except we had bobcats and coyotes too! And in TX, I lived on a multi-acre farm...*sigh*) . In the MN yard I have a 1/2 insulated 8x10 shed next to the house that is currently unused, and am thinking about turning it into a coop. This summer, we have had the chicks in our brooder box (a tried-and-true repurposed metal horse trough) and have ferried them out to a mobile yard enclosure by day, complete with top wire cover to keep out the hawks. We plan to continue the mobile coop design at least in the summer in order to spare the lawn some. No yard chemicals to worry about, either. I am keeping a grand total of 3 Black Australorps, which is a far cry from the 22 I used to have in TX but it'll have to do. :)

Here are my questions (warning...we are starting back at Chickens 101 here):

1. What do y'all do with your birds during the day? Do they stay inside, or do they go out? From my research, I have gathered that some people have plastic-wrapped yards. However, due to the backyard nature of my setup, the only good spot in the backyard for a year-round chicken yard is on the corner opposite the shed-- a bare patch where the garden used to be. (Otherwise I will have to sacrifice some good lawn, which can be done but won't be a popular verdict with the rest of the family :). Needless to say, the shed and the bare patch are not anywhere close to connected.

2. How do you deal with frozen water? I have read the threads about modified cookie tins, heated pet bowls, heated waterers, heated horse buckets...etc, etc. However, I will only have 3 birds, which reduces my required size greatly. What do you experienced cold-weather gurus recommend for a tiny backyard flock? I am having trouble answering this question because I am frankly stumped on the answer to the first question. Because if I knew whether to plan for in or out, that might dictate how much I worry about heating it.

3. For the backyard folk, what do you use for litter, how do you clean it, and how do you keep the smell down? My neighbors are all either excited for the feathered additions or at worst, indifferent, so I don't want to ruin the good feelings I have gathered thus far. I can't go for a deep litter system in the shed. However, with only 3 birds it should be a LOT cleaner than the 22 I used to have a few years ago, but now I don't have the luxury of a few acres to dump my cleanings over. Do you recommend that I start a compost bin?

4. My city permits chickens, I have access to a Fleet Farm, and I have raised chickens for years... just down south, and not in the snow! Anything else I am not thinking of?

Thanks!!

I have a few ideas. Why can't the 8 x 10 shed be moved? It's not that big, it wouldn't be hard for a skid steer. You could have an attached enclosed run and part of it could be covered to keep out snow/rain. If you put the shed on treated 4x4 post with a sand floor there will be very little smell or maintenece needed. You can make or buy nipples to make a waterer and put a bird bath heater in it for winter. A electric extention cord could be used for power. Good Luck I hope you have a mild first winter.

Ah welcome to MN! I would be interested in some of these answers to. I bought a heater for my waterer last winter and it didnt work well. It was the type you set the waterer on. my birds all did fine and stayed inside mostly in fact they were scared of the snow! Last winter was nice and mild so doubt we will have that luck again. Anyways when the water froze I brought it inside and ran it under the shower in hot water to thaw it. It was a pain, but all I could really do.

I use pine shavings and love it. Am going to try the deep litter method this year. But since you cant do that I would just start a compost and use the deep littler method.

As long as you have cold hearty birds you should be fine. Just watch for frostbite. I didnt have much trouble last year but the coop was insulated really well. My new coop on the other hand still needs to be winterized, so we will see how they fair.

I used a bird bath heater to prevent freezing. It cycles on and off by temperature. Metal enclosed, build like a tank. I put it in the supply in the winter, and don't worry about the water freezing or overheating.

Chris

Adding some 1 inch foam insulation I got at Lowes for 6 bucks a sheet worked great. We also covered it with 7/16" OSB board on studded walls. Figured we better cover the foam so the birds don't try and eat it or destroy it. I know a lot of folks say you shouldn't insulate your coop but it definitely killed the cold air leaks. We run automatic drinkers out there now but if they don't freeze I know the old one that lays on the floor and heats the drinker should do fine.

It gets plenty cool here in Michigan and WI is just across the lake. I don't like to see frostbite on my birds combs and don't mind spending a little cash to make our birds comfortable. We have chosen White Dorkings partly due to the fact they have rose combs and don't get frostbite as easily as single comb birds. Each bird gives off a certain amount of heat so if you were to get more birds it would help a little then again it creates other problems as I'm sure you know.

I also use heat lamps on timers and keep my ventilation on a thermostat. The vent fan never runs at night when the coop is below 35 inside. You might not be using a vent fan but a timer and thermostat works great if you do. You can even get programmable thermostats at Menards etc.

If the shed has a peak you might be able to put in a foam insulation ceiling. You loose a lot of heat out the top of an uninsulated building.

I'm not an expert but this has worked well for us. Our floor stays nice and dry with good ventilation during the warmer hours and I think the draft free lightly insulated coop and bird to space ratio keeps the coop above freezing. Might be a thought to get more birds or make a smaller coop.

Last edited:
I live in Oregon so I will put a heating pad under a dog dish, and just fill that up and keep it on low. Works like a charm, I do believe the chickens like the warm water too for their bellies.

Back
Top Bottom