MN winters and our coop

We were trying to keep draft to a minimum with the extra plastic and the little vinyl doggy door, but maybe it's not necessary with the run wrapped (minus 1ft around the top).
8ft x 4.5” gives you about 3sqft of ventilation across that roofline. if you have the same across the back, that’s 6sqft

the plastic is not necessary at all. they’re pretty well sheltered from the wind in there. it’s a really good setup wind and draft wise. you can definitely afford to open more ventilation for them. id just cover it all with hardware cloth because it looks like things can climb in there.

We still have the board across the back, my husband is hesitant to take it off since it's lower than the highest roost. The gap is 2 inx8ft. I'm guessing we should take that window plastic off as well? Would adding a window instead of the fan over the chicken door be enough? That's the best place we can think of. Can't get to the side by the stairs at all and the other side is a maintenence door that would be difficult adding a window to.
20221127_132007.jpg

We still have the board across the back, my husband is hesitant to take it off since it's lower than the highest roost. The gap is 2 inx8ft. I'm guessing we should take that window plastic off as well? Would adding a window instead of the fan over the chicken door be enough? That's the best place we can think of. Can't get to the side by the stairs at all and the other side is a maintenence door that would be difficult adding a window to.
View attachment 3334372
If I am viewing the pics correctly the pop door is opposite the nest boxes. Adding ventilation above the poop door would be the next logical place as long as air coming in does not blow on chicken on the roost.

That is correct. We'll make it a project to add a window above their door then. Took off the plastic on both sides and the vinyl doggy door flaps.
20221127_142020.jpg

Unfortunately adjusting the roosts isn't an easy task, they're currently mounted above the nesting boxes on one side and between the cleaning doors and window on the inside. It would be maybe like an inch down we could move it.

Last edited:
Your ventilation is more than enough. Once you took away the blankets and removed the baffle. Take a lot of what your told with a grain of salt. Square ft rules of ventilation don't mean anything and most don't understand the difference between passive and conductive circulation. What you've achieved is conductive. It's more than adequate.

That is correct. We'll make it a project to add a window above their door then. Took off the plastic on both sides and the vinyl doggy door flaps.
View attachment 3334588
Unfortunately adjusting the roosts isn't an easy task, they're currently mounted above the nesting boxes on one side and between the cleaning doors and window on the inside. It would be maybe like an inch down we could move it.
Is the coop under a deck?

I guess with the adjustments we've made we can wait a couple weeks and keep an eye (and nose) on the situation and add the window if needed. Need to find our humidity gauge and put that in there with their thermometer.

Is the coop under a deck?
It is under our deck, except a few inches and the nesting boxes sticks out.
It kept them safe from a good amount of rain but we didn't feel it was enough and put the plastic roofing under the deck and the stairs to keep their area dry.

Last edited:
View attachment 3334588
Wow..what a great use of space under your deck. :clap

Back
Top Bottom