Mocha seems to have a problem with her shell gland. What else could it be?

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Mocha is a Black Australorp, hatched May 5, 2021

2) What is the behavior, exactly. She seems to be acting normally, for her. She has always been the bottom of the pecking order in a flock of 5 for the first year and 4 for the second year. I don't think she has ever challenged to change that. The odd eggs are described below.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? see below
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? not that I can tell
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't know.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. see below
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? just watched
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would treat her myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. see below
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. She is in a 8' section of a 10' wide shed with three other hens unless out to roam the property (usually several hours at a time several times a week but not every day). Bedding is mostly maple leaves, some pine shavings, some sawdust, a little pdz on the poop board.

I found the first wonky egg 3 or 4 months ago, I think. It was under the roost, pale tan, the "shell" was ripped and there were remnants of egg contents with the shell but not a full egg's worth. I don't know if that is what is laid or if they ate some of it. Shell is in quotes because it was more like a flexible membrane than a shell.

I've found another once in a while but not often - maybe three weeks between them to begin with and gradually more often. I don't know if normal eggs were laid between the wonky ones. I don't know if there were wonky eggs that were completely eaten. Besides the "eggs", there has been some residue under the roost that looked a bit wrong for a poop but the poops were not nearly as uniform as they had been. I thought it was because I started letting them out to range in yard. And the wonky "eggs" were glitches.

Egg production was down from last year but only moderately down and they are starting their third year of laying.

This week, I found this (first picture) and kept in a glass of water in the refrigerator while I looked more seriously for what could be the problem.

I just cut it open (second picture) and it looks almost like egg white.

I have to post this to be able to edit it to add the pictures. I will continue after.

The two globs separated like that by themselves; I didn't maneuver them. In the picture, one looks a bit like a colorless yoke but in in real life they look both look like egg white.

Before I cut it open, the membrane looked white. Not tan at all. Now it looks like what I found before. It does not smell bad.

This is about the amount of residue I found before so it seems they were not eating much of the previous eggs.

They are eating chick feed from a local mill that mixes their own. This is because the chick feed is higher in protein. 17%, if I remember right. I can look in the morning.

They also regularly empty the calcium dish - it usually has eggs shells and oyster shells in it but sometimes has just oyster shells. All the normal eggs I've gathered in this time frame have had normal shells.

They also roam the property which has lawn, compost pile, fringe (with tall grass, raspberries, and weeds), and a bit of woods with many, many, many flowers planted by someone who lived here before us. I can try to figure out what kinds if that might be important - I know there are snowdrops and daffodils, ... I can't think of others right now and don't know what some of them are.

I looked through other posts and it seems a problem with the shell gland seems to me the most likely problem.

Do you think so? and what else might it be?

Attachments

• 0AA89585-BEEC-4CFF-BC3D-A682AD3C3E21.jpeg
    0AA89585-BEEC-4CFF-BC3D-A682AD3C3E21.jpeg
    590.7 KB · Views: 141
  • BF52C168-700F-4F36-B323-EDCAB941A86D.jpeg
    BF52C168-700F-4F36-B323-EDCAB941A86D.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Do you know which hen is laying the eggs? It might be a good idea to pick up either that hen, if you know, or every hen, if you don’t, to make sure that no one is underweight or anything like that and that no one is showing any obvious signs of illness or parasites.

I'm not very familiar with shell gland issues, so I don't know if they would cause problems with the entire egg or just the shell itself, but it could be possible.

My first thought would be to rule out deficiency of some kind. Lack of protein and calcium can both cause soft shells, for example. I wouldn't think lack of calcium is an issue in this case, but it could be if they are eating it but not able to process it properly or if they need more of it.

My next thought would be to make sure there is no illness, especially since they are in their third year of laying. I had a hen with cancer who kept laying eggs with soft shells for months before it became obvious that there was a bigger issue (but she was also obviously ill by that point so I don't think this is very likely if your birds aren't showing other symptoms).

For several weeks, I didn't know which hen was laying them. I've become quite sure it is Mocha because she has accumulated a lot of white residue under her vent. She and one other have often had a few traces of poop (I thought, anyway) on their fluff but her's went from about that when I found the first wonky egg to noticeably more a week or two ago to a really lot this week.

She is considerably smaller than the other Black Australorps but always has been. I pick them up very rarely but I could do that tomorrow. I can see if she feels thinner around her keel than the others or any other differences. Anything else I should look for while I have her held? She doesn't like it. I haven't seen anything like mites or lice on the roosts or birds I look for that on their bodies when they are on the roosts, and for specks that could be parasite poops on the roosts but I'm not confident I wouldn't miss such things.

None have signs of illness that I can tell. I try to notice such things, and spend quite a lot of time watching them and caring for them but these are my first flock so I'm not confident I would notice everything.

Wow, 30% or more of hens develop reproductive tract cancer by the time they are 2.5 years old. From poultry dvm dot com. They say there is no treatment for that either.

Oh, no cure. Various treatments.

Hm, other sites say cancer is rare.

Last edited:
For several weeks, I didn't know which hen was laying them. I've become quite sure it is Mocha because she has accumulated a lot of white residue under her vent. She and one other have often had a few traces of poop (I thought, anyway) on their fluff but her's went from about that when I found the first wonky egg to noticeably more a week or two ago to a really lot this week.

She is considerably smaller than the other Black Australorps but always has been. I pick them up very rarely but I could do that tomorrow. I can see if she feels thinner around her keel than the others or any other differences. Anything else I should look for while I have her held? She doesn't like it. I haven't seen anything like mites or lice on the roosts or birds I look for that on their bodies when they are on the roosts, and for specks that could be parasite poops on the roosts but I'm not confident I wouldn't miss such things.

None have signs of illness that I can tell. I try to notice such things, and spend quite a lot of time watching them and caring for them but these are my first flock so I'm not confident I would notice everything.

If she is considerably smaller than the others, that could be a clue. I have one hen who is smaller than the rest and she tends to lay double yolks more frequently than the others when she does lay. I think she just developed differently when she was in the egg.

The main things to look for would be how much she weighs, her general body condition (both her keel and things like her feather condition), her comb and face color, and her general reaction to being held. I usually look at the eyes and inside the beak, as well, though inside the beak is tricky if they don't like being handled.

If she is only slightly underweight, it could be that she is being bullied away from the feeder and not getting enough nutrition to lay properly. Severe weight loss could indicate an illness of some kind.

Wow, 30% or more of hens develop reproductive tract cancer by the time they are 2.5 years old. From poultry dvm dot com. They say there is no treatment for that either.

Oh, no cure. Various treatments.

Hm, other sites say cancer is rare.

I think it depends on breed. Breeds that have higher egg production are more prone, I think (along with other things like peritonitis).

I picked Mocha up just before dawn, and examined her thoroughly. Also Pepper for comparison. I found no indications of external parasites, Mocha's keel (and all over) felt like it had about the same fat cover as Pepper's. Their abdomins felt about the same. Neither liked any of it but Mocha didn't react differently.

Back
Top Bottom