Model or Ideal Chicken ordinance?

nyCheesecake

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation as to the ideal Chicken Ordinance?

obviously the ideal ordinance would have no restrictions what so ever, but I need a reasonable compromise for a suburban area (some farms nearby)

Thank you!!!

Thanks! That is helpful.

I've seen some that have less restrictions on the distance between nearby houses/property lines, but then they limit the # of hens allowed. I guess there are trade offs.

Wish me luck!!

There has to be some kind of sop to the neighbors I think, either distance or limits on numbers. Otherwise it's a hard sell. And of course all noise and nuisance laws still apply.

Thanks for the thoughts on this topic. I'm also curious about what an "ideal" code might look like as well.

As a proposal, how about:

• 8 hens are allowed, with another allowed for every 1,000 square feet of land above the minimum lot size.
  • Coop no less than 15 feet from a main building on neighbor's property
  • Coop no less than 5 feet from the property line unless the neighbor has given permission in writing.
  • At least 4 square feet enclosed space per bird
  • At least 10 square feet of space in an outdoor run per bird
  • No permit required, no fee required.
  • Animal slaughter is allowed as long as it is performed by an experienced individual who properly disposes of all waste.
  • Manure must be managed on a weekly basis (though it can be composted or moved off the property)
  • Coop/run location can be anywhere on property that is sufficiently protected from predators.
  • 1 rooster is allowed, although it cannot make noises beyond what the city considers a nuisance.
  • Heating lamps are not allowed (since they are a common cause of fire, people can either go without or use a panel)

Are there other elements to consider? Does anyone have a favorite code?

Back
Top Bottom