Modern Game Bantams

Nov 28, 2017
UK
I just got a beautiful trio of 11 week olds. They’re supposed to be silver blue, is this correct? Cockerel and one pullet have darker combs and eyes. One pullet has a lighter face and some pink toes. Is this correct for the colour/breed? Also, I was thinking about entering them into some local shows next year but the cockerel has a chip missing in his beak. All that said, would I be able to sell eggs/chicks from them? It seems such a waste to just eat any eggs that could be fertile because I think they’re just gorgeous, even if they’re more pet quality than show.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

020BF736-0CAA-4E19-B19B-676A2E8D2678.jpeg

EC826157-BF87-4D3F-9672-B158814B1E00.jpeg
57BF1F20-F3E6-403F-810A-E15ECAFEB397.jpeg
4FBE3D2A-57F1-4B21-8175-005E00800931.jpeg
DF2B407F-5B93-4647-9C80-4A29AA17433A.jpeg

Male is a Birchen, females look to be Blue Birchen "may just be the light, they could be Birchen as well". The male will have to be dubbed to be shown. The lacing down the males chest is an undesirable trait but it very common in the Birchen pattern.

Male is a Birchen, females look to be Blue Birchen "may just be the light, they could be Birchen as well". The male will have to be dubbed to be shown. The lacing down the males chest is an undesirable trait but it very common in the Birchen pattern.

Thanks! I’ll try and get some more pics of the standing in full daylight.

I looked at some pics of Birchen Modern Game and I’m not sure any of them are that colour. They look blue to me. I got these pics this morning. Will it help to get a pic of the feathers under the cockerels wings?

875E2BF9-BC50-46BF-8133-6662F243C454.jpeg
9513D78B-84C2-41BA-BBC7-D593E0BF3463.jpeg

31A2D934-AC38-4DB4-B694-C480135A789C.jpeg
286EF1A1-06C1-4EE0-93A3-39B13FA039FE.jpeg
87E5CB8B-3856-4848-BECC-7632E6AC1F3D.jpeg

Attachments

• 54B2A62E-1E83-4A4F-A86A-88696CC25652.jpeg
    54B2A62E-1E83-4A4F-A86A-88696CC25652.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 1
Can’t make my mind up on whether he’s blue or black. But you’ll know better as you’ve more experience.

View attachment 1920890
Under wing
View attachment 1920891 View attachment 1920893 View attachment 1920892
Hello!
He is definitely a Birchen. He does a have nice lacing, but there’s to much of it, but It’ll do good for breeding and give you evenly laced babies, as it seems the pullets (They look silver blue) have am too little, although that is more desirable than too much. The cockerel will need dubbed, and he Looks to have a tail that’s a little too fanned, but that can change depending on how he’s standing.
The Two pullets look nice, the one and the cockerel are dark skinned, and the other light skinned, she just looks very pale.
Breeding this trio will produce Either birchens or silver blues.
I don’t suggest showing the cockerel (Although you can always enter him in a show to get a judge’s opinion on him!) His overlacing, fanned tail, and chipped beak might not give him much of a chance in a show.
I suggest dusting them for mites, and and worming them! It would also be a good idea to bathe them one week before a show! I just bathed all (54 of them!!) of my birds, to ready then for a show next week, and just get everyone clean !

Hope this helps!! They are overall a cute little trio, hope they do good for you!:ya

also, I apologize for all the typos and grammar, I’m speed typing on my phone lol

Hello!
He is definitely a Birchen. He does a have nice lacing, but there’s to much of it, but It’ll do good for breeding and give you evenly laced babies, as it seems the pullets (They look silver blue) have am too little, although that is more desirable than too much. The cockerel will need dubbed, and he Looks to have a tail that’s a little too fanned, but that can change depending on how he’s standing.
The Two pullets look nice, the one and the cockerel are dark skinned, and the other light skinned, she just looks very pale.
Breeding this trio will produce Either birchens or silver blues.
I don’t suggest showing the cockerel (Although you can always enter him in a show to get a judge’s opinion on him!) His overlacing, fanned tail, and chipped beak might not give him much of a chance in a show.
I suggest dusting them for mites, and and worming them! It would also be a good idea to bathe them one week before a show! I just bathed all (54 of them!!) of my birds, to ready then for a show next week, and just get everyone clean !

Hope this helps!! They are overall a cute little trio, hope they do good for you!:ya

also, I apologize for all the typos and grammar, I’m speed typing on my phone lol

Thank you so much for your reply! After GrayFarms mentioned dubbing I did some research and it seems he would need to be, I don’t think I could do it so I won’t try to show him. I thought his beak probably won’t fair him well anyway.

I’ll have to hatch some eggs when they lay next year, see what they make.

Do you have any tips on how I can keep my cockerel friendly? These are pet birds so I like to pick them up. He’s good tempered at the moment and he loves his ladies. It’s not like he can do much being less than a foot tall but I don’t want him getting pecky.

Back
Top Bottom