Modern game bantams...

Pics
I can usually tell sex at around 10-12 weeks old. I am in central NY and I just have them in a shed. They seem to do fine in the cold. I also feed cracked corn at night to help keep there temps up.

I can usually tell sex at around 10-12 weeks old. I am in central NY and I just have them in a shed. They seem to do fine in the cold. I also feed cracked corn at night to help keep there temps up.

Theregoes the cracked corn myth again-thought it was finally dead but I guess not.

I've bred Modern Game Bantams here in upstate NY for years & the only time I lost any in the winter was when a Mink got bin the barn & killed them. Other than that they've been fine down to 30 below zero.

Theregoes the cracked corn myth again-thought it was finally dead but I guess not.

I've bred Modern Game Bantams here in upstate NY for years & the only time I lost any in the winter was when a Mink got bin the barn & killed them. Other than that they've been fine down to 30 below zero.
Wow... okay then! Thanks for the info! I'm gonna keep mine inside at night but I was wondering how I was going to get mine exercise in the winter, but I guess they'd even be fine to sleep out there! Thanks for the info!

How will I sex this little critter? She/he is 8 weeks now...

NYREDS, I was kind of in shock that mine lived during the night we hit 28*. Draft-free must have helped them a bit but I was expecting a pen of dead Moderns.

28 that's a spring day here. They're a lot tougher than they look. They're delicate as day olds being so small but if they make it a week they're as hardy as anything else.

They do fine here in upstate NY where winter temps often hit 20 below zero & sometimes even colder. I've never used any supplimental heat. They even lay through the winter.

Is this really true? Someone earlier on the thread said they die below 30F without heat... could they survive a WI winter?

Back
Top Bottom