Modern Game//old english and silkie(ish) cross

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Hello! Weird question!

So a few years back when I was brand new to chickens I went to a local show and bought what I thought was a pure breed silkie. Looking back at it I should not have bought it. I picked one out in the cage and was all exited. I was rambling to the breeder about how cute it was and how I was new and had no idea about any poultry stuff. She said that she had an extra cute one in her truck so she wen and got another one. Without giving it another thought I paid $80 for the "cute one". Later I tried to show it and got a big fat DQ. Apparently she is not the pure breed silkie that I paid for. Turns out she has a single comb. And is smaller than normal. And is not that fluffy. None the less she was cute, sweet, and a good layer, so I was not too upset. Until she stopped laying. And got attacked aggressively witch damaged her brain so she spends most of her day staring at a fence post. But she is still cute. Anyways, that was 3 years ago and now she started laying again!

I also have a little rooster that is super sweet. He is my only successful hatch so far (I haven't tried many times, though). His parents are the nicest chickens that I have EVER had or met. His mom is a modern game lemon splash and his dad is a old English silver duck wing (my avatar).

Fluffypants:

Batman:

I want to have some fun experimenting this spring with some weird mixes because I have a brand new incubator! What would this outcome look like? Any ideas or advice? Here are my other breeds if you think that they would make a better mix with Batman.

1. Cream legbar
  2. Silver Laced Wyandotte
  3. Road Island Red
  4. White leghorn

*Nacho (my avatar and Batman's dad) can not be breed with anyone but Batman's mom because he would attach them. The mom would not leave Nacho's side, so no further breeding with them is an option

P.S. Any mix chick will have a thoroughly documented young life on this thread

Thanks!

Is Fluffypants the one thats supposed to be the Silkie mix? If so, she looks like a pure bred Silkie to me. Its actually quite common for Silkies to pop out with a single comb every now and then, even if said chick came from two show quality, pure bred Silkie parents (though I do think the lady that sold her to you took advantage of you being new to the chicken world by selling you a pet quality Silkie for $80!).

As for what you might expect with the Silkie mixes you may produce, you'll get a lot of variances. They may hatch with small crests, or without them entirely, with or without feathered legs, with or without extra toes, with or without black skin, with or without beards and muffs and you'll probably get some wonky looking combs to. One thing I can guarantee: they'll be ADORABLE! All of my Silkie mixes have been wonderful little birds. And your mixes will probably make excellent brood hens since being a good momma is something both Silkies and Games are known for.

I think any of the breed you have would make nice hybrids. I like mixed breeds, its like a surprise everytime you hatch them and you get to see how much they'll change from chick to adult.

Good luck :)

Thanks! What mixes have you done before? And yes, Fluffypants is the silkie mixish. At the show that I brought her to the other silkies were fluffier and slightly bigger. That is interesting, though, I never knew that they can be pure breed with a single comb. Also I have a question about my incubator. So I read that eggs should be turned 3 times a day. The incubator that I have says that it turns them 6 times a day and the turning is constant but extreamly slow. Will the results from this be fine? It is a Fall Harvest Products Automatic Egg Turner, if that helps. I would give some eggs to the siklie, but like I said, she had brain damage and she lost her mothering instincts. She has gone broody 3 times. One time one of my hens layed her egg outside and so Fluffypants sat on it outside. But she sometimes sat next to it instead of on top of it. It would roll away from her when she tried to turn it and by the end she was at the other side of the yard. I wouldn't even consider it now. Her condition seems to have gotten worse over time and now she has to be carried inside at night and she doesn't know how to perch. Poor thing.
Is Fluffypants the one thats supposed to be the Silkie mix? If so, she looks like a pure bred Silkie to me. Its actually quite common for Silkies to pop out with a single comb every now and then, even if said chick came from two show quality, pure bred Silkie parents (though I do think the lady that sold her to you took advantage of you being new to the chicken world by selling you a pet quality Silkie for $80!).

As for what you might expect with the Silkie mixes you may produce, you'll get a lot of variances. They may hatch with small crests, or without them entirely, with or without feathered legs, with or without extra toes, with or without black skin, with or without beards and muffs and you'll probably get some wonky looking combs to. One thing I can guarantee: they'll be ADORABLE! All of my Silkie mixes have been wonderful little birds. And your mixes will probably make excellent brood hens since being a good momma is something both Silkies and Games are known for.

I think any of the breed you have would make nice hybrids. I like mixed breeds, its like a surprise everytime you hatch them and you get to see how much they'll change from chick to adult.

Good luck
smile.png
Thanks again!

I've mixed Silkies with Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Cochins, Old English Game bantams and probably a few more breeds that escape me at the moment. They were all super, super cute and most of the EE/Silkie mixes laid green eggs!
The recommended turning of 3 times a day is for hand turning the eggs, the minimum amount of turns per day (the thinking behind that is turning them an odd number of times each day keeps the embryos from sticking to the shell when they sit overnight). But, the automatic turner is constantly rocking them, so sticking wouldn't be an issue. I use an automatic turner as well, and have great hatches.

Silkies, especially those with vaulted skulls, are prone to brain injuries and neurological problems. I've had a couple go wonky from taking a peck to the head or from hitting their heads on something in the coop or run. For that reason, I don't keep mine with other breeds. You might try treating her with vitamin E and selenium, or Poly-vi-sol (without iron) which can be found in the baby section of most grocery stores. I'm not sure how much it would help since it seems she's been dealing with her condition for a while, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Theres a Silkie thread in the Breeds, Genetics and Showing section of the forum, theres a lot of wonderful people, info and pictures in that thread (if you haven't found it already) :)

I've mixed Silkies with Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Cochins, Old English Game bantams and probably a few more breeds that escape me at the moment. They were all super, super cute and most of the EE/Silkie mixes laid green eggs!
The recommended turning of 3 times a day is for hand turning the eggs, the minimum amount of turns per day (the thinking behind that is turning them an odd number of times each day keeps the embryos from sticking to the shell when they sit overnight). But, the automatic turner is constantly rocking them, so sticking wouldn't be an issue. I use an automatic turner as well, and have great hatches.

Silkies, especially those with vaulted skulls, are prone to brain injuries and neurological problems. I've had a couple go wonky from taking a peck to the head or from hitting their heads on something in the coop or run. For that reason, I don't keep mine with other breeds. You might try treating her with vitamin E and selenium, or Poly-vi-sol (without iron) which can be found in the baby section of most grocery stores. I'm not sure how much it would help since it seems she's been dealing with her condition for a while, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Theres a Silkie thread in the Breeds, Genetics and Showing section of the forum, theres a lot of wonderful people, info and pictures in that thread (if you haven't found it already)
smile.png
I have not seen that thread. I will check it out when I have time. Her brain was damaged 3 years ago, so I think it is too late for treatment, but thank you anyways. My cream legbars lay wonderful green eggs, I want to mix them with the little roo to see what color they are. I hope green and small, you can never have too many pretty eggs! That is good to know about the incubator, when I read that on the instructions this morning I got worried - those incubators aren't cheap! What time in spring would have the highest fertility rate? Also, should I put the eggs straight from the nest into the incubator or does there have to be a rest period? I read that the rapid temperature change from the box to the bator can kill the chicks so you have to bring it to room temperature before putting it in. Is this necessary? Sorry about all of the questions, I have only hatched two chicks, and that was with a broody hen - but that didn't go too well because she ended up killing one right after it hatched
hmm.png
. Last one (for now), so eggs can be put on pause before incubating (right?), so does that mean that the eggs do not have to be collected immediately? Can I collect them a few hours after they are layed and get the same hatch rate?

Thank you!

You might still try treating your little Silkie, it may at least help curb some of the symptoms she's experiencing :)

I'm not sure which time in the Spring would be best for highest fertility. I hatch pretty much year round (even though I say ever year I'm not going to) and I sometimes see a decline in fertility in the dead of winter, sometimes not. Other than that, its pretty much the same. If you're collecting eggs to hatch when its really cold out, you'll want to let them rest and come to room temp before sticking them in the 'bator. Popping them right in would likely cause them to sweat, since they're cold and the incubator is hot. But, if you're pulling eggs from the coop in spring or summer, I don't see a problem with putting them directly in, no sweating. So, if you're planning on hatching in the spring, and you get the number of eggs you'd like to hatch all in the same day, sure, put them right in. If you don't get the amount of eggs you'd like to hatch all in the same day, store them in an egg carton pointy side down and keep collecting until you've got what you want to set (some people say to not collect for more than a week because hatch rate declines as the eggs age, but I'll collect eggs for up to 2 weeks. Also, if you set some eggs each day or every few days, you end up with a staggered hatch, which is difficult to manage if you only have one incubator). If you're storing the eggs while collecting, you'll want to turn or rock them. I put them in an egg carton and prop on side or the other of the carton with a book, much like the turner would move them side to side, 3 times a day.

I think I managed to address all of your questions in this post. If I missed something, post it again and we'll chit chat a bit more :)

You might still try treating your little Silkie, it may at least help curb some of the symptoms she's experiencing
smile.png

I'm not sure which time in the Spring would be best for highest fertility. I hatch pretty much year round (even though I say ever year I'm not going to) and I sometimes see a decline in fertility in the dead of winter, sometimes not. Other than that, its pretty much the same. If you're collecting eggs to hatch when its really cold out, you'll want to let them rest and come to room temp before sticking them in the 'bator. Popping them right in would likely cause them to sweat, since they're cold and the incubator is hot. But, if you're pulling eggs from the coop in spring or summer, I don't see a problem with putting them directly in, no sweating. So, if you're planning on hatching in the spring, and you get the number of eggs you'd like to hatch all in the same day, sure, put them right in. If you don't get the amount of eggs you'd like to hatch all in the same day, store them in an egg carton pointy side down and keep collecting until you've got what you want to set (some people say to not collect for more than a week because hatch rate declines as the eggs age, but I'll collect eggs for up to 2 weeks. Also, if you set some eggs each day or every few days, you end up with a staggered hatch, which is difficult to manage if you only have one incubator). If you're storing the eggs while collecting, you'll want to turn or rock them. I put them in an egg carton and prop on side or the other of the carton with a book, much like the turner would move them side to side, 3 times a day.

I think I managed to address all of your questions in this post. If I missed something, post it again and we'll chit chat a bit more
smile.png
Thanks! You got everything! I have 5 hens that I want to try to breed and I want 3-5 chicks, so should I collect for 2 days, 2 eggs each hen? Thanks!

If you're aiming for 3-5 chicks, I'd set 5-10 eggs. That will hopefully compensate for infertile eggs or eggs that quit along the way. If you have extras, you could always sell them. But, and I say this from past experience, it really stinks when you only hatch a single chick (they tend to peep, peep, peep constantly looking for their hatch mates that will never come). I always set more eggs than I want to hatch because of that. For example, on one of my hatches this past year, I set 42 eggs hoping for 20 or so to hatch (well, I hoped they'd all hatch, but would've been tickled pink with 20). After running into a bunch of issues during incubation (a power outage during an ice storm that lasted almost 3 days, then a temp spike when it finally did come back on) I ended up with 2 chicks total :/ What I'm saying is, things may happen that will be beyond your control. You'll need to account for that in the number of eggs you set. On the flip side, if you set 10 eggs and all 10 hatch, you'll have 5 more chicks then you wanted and you'll need to figure out what to do with them.
And that, my friend, is chicken math at it finest ;)

Last edited:
If you're aiming for 3-5 chicks, I'd set 5-10 eggs. That will hopefully compensate for infertile eggs or eggs that quit along the way. If you have extras, you could always sell them. But, and I say this from past experience, it really stinks when you only hatch a single chick (they tend to peep, peep, peep constantly looking for their hatch mates that will never come). I always set more eggs than I want to hatch because of that. For example, on one of my hatches this past year, I set 42 eggs hoping for 20 or so to hatch (well, I hoped they'd all hatch, but would've been tickled pink with 20). After running into a bunch of issues during incubation (a power outage during an ice storm that lasted almost 3 days, then a temp spike when it finally did come back on) I ended up with 2 chicks total
hmm.png
What I'm saying is, things may happen that will be beyond your control. You'll need to account for that in the number of eggs you set. On the flip side, if you set 10 eggs and all 10 hatch, you'll have 5 more chicks then you wanted and you'll need to figure out what to do with them.
And that, my friend, is chicken math at it finest
wink.png
gig.gif
I am awful at chicken math. A friend: "how many chickens do you have?" Me: "Wait. Fuffypants, trixy, nacho, so yeah, 6. wait no, I got more.... 8. oh, I forgot about that order that I placed.... So make that 15 1/2, because baby bantams count as half."

And okay, that won't be a problem now that I know that I can collect for a few days. Wow, 2/42. That's sad, sorry that that happened. When the little roo hatched and the segregate mom killed the other one I didn't want to leave it with her. So I raised it. It was SUPER needy. It always wanted to ride in my sweatshirt pocket everywhere. I actually had to take it to the family business with me a few times because if I set it down it would start SCREAMING. Bantam chick screams are obnoxious, so I put it in my pocket and brought it's make shift-last second box brooder with me. I made a second brooder that looked the same to have there so it could have a place to go and warm up. I had to bring it to Lowes with me few times. But it made for a sweet roo
love.gif
!

Yep, chicken math gets me too. I told my husband in the fall that I was putting my incubators away until spring. No winter babies this year, absolutely not doing it. Then I got suckered into the New Years Day hatch-a-long here on BYC (okay, okay, it didn't take all that much convincing). Of course, when the hubs came home and caught me tweaking the 'bators I got a raised eyebrow and an "uh huh, no hatching until spring...." "but, but, darling, theres the NYD HAL on BYC and I'm just going to do a small batch to check fertility anyway". That was, oh, 2 hatches and 24 chicks ago and the incubators are STILL running. Oops. And I have hens sitting on eggs in both of my coops (which already contain a dozen adult chickens each). Yep, chicken math. Gets me everytime :gig

And, I've carried single chicks around in my shirt pocket more than I'd like to admit. It got me some funny looks at the grocery store once :oops:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom