Mods and the Addicted...Wanted to thank you all

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by walkswithdog, Mar 29, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Thank you for all the helpful posts here and sealing cracked eggs. Two days ago I found one of my BR turkey eggs with a divot in it, about the size of an eraser head of a pencil. She's not a very good broody, first time, so I gathered all the eggs to candle. Returned the least developed to her and took the broken one and three that were further along that she's obviously not turning properly.

I thought the broken one would be dead. Couldn't see anything move on candling but it was a little cold. So I thought what the heck and I dug out an unscented candle a match and sealed it up and placed it in the incubator to warm up for 24 hours.

Yesterday I candled again, fully expecting gas beginning to form from death and air infiltration, or just nothing moving. After a minute or so of careful candling I hit the right angle and the little poult inside was moving well and energeticly.

If he survives it will be because of all the wonderful people here and all the helpful posts. Today there's a wiggler because you all are here and I thank you.

Grinning in Tennessee.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    back atcha! [​IMG]

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    ITs a nice trick.
    I have a VERY loud RIR chick in my house keeping me up at night that came from a cracked and wax sealed egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by