Moisture in coop help!

Rbrown369

Songster
Dec 21, 2019
Vancouver island. Bc. Canada.
I noticed there’s lots of moisture in my coop mostly on the ceiling. Like condensation maybe? We have a large window for ventilation. But I noticed the water drops building up on the ceiling and dripping down and wetting the corner of the coop. I’m worried because it’s -4 CELCIUS some nights right now.

I noticed there’s lots of moisture in my coop mostly on the ceiling. Like condensation maybe? We have a large window for ventilation. But I noticed the water drops building up on the ceiling and dripping down and wetting the corner of the coop. I’m worried because it’s -4 CELCIUS some nights right now.
Can you post some photos of the inside of your coop - ceiling, ventilation, etc.?
What type of roofing material is on the coop - metal?
Where do you live - country/state?

Can you post some photos of the inside of your coop - ceiling, ventilation, etc.?
What type of roofing material is on the coop - metal?
Where do you live - country/state?
I’ll get some pics , basically it’s a wooden coop with a large window probably 4 feet long on the front. That we can slide open.
we have a tin roof but We have a tarp sealing the roof and then the tin on top. There’s also a a little square door for them to go in and out.

I’ll get some pics , basically it’s a wooden coop with a large window probably 4 feet long on the front. That we can slide open.
we have a tin roof but We have a tarp sealing the roof and then the tin on top. There’s also a a little square door for them to go in and out.
Your tin roof is sweating on the inside right?
You need more ventilation.
A vapor barrier on the bare metal (inside) will also help - I put styrofoam insulation against the metal inside my coop - this helps keep it from sweating, but plenty of ventilation along the roof line important too.

Your tin roof is sweating on the inside right?
You need more ventilation.
A vapor barrier on the bare metal (inside) will also help - I put styrofoam insulation against the metal inside my coop - this helps keep it from sweating, but plenty of ventilation along the roof line important too.
I don’t know if the tin is sweating because I can’t see it from inside. The tarp is covering the roof then the tin on top. But I can try to put something between the tarp and tin

Actually I think that’s what you meant by vapour barrier I have plastic tarp as the roof then the tin.
Pictures of your setup will help clarify.
So are you saying you basically have a plastic tarp ceiling with the tin roof over it and the condensation is dripping onto the plastic tarp? Regardless, you need to move the moisture OUT. If the window is open will it allow a breeze to blow across the roosting area? Do you have any venting in the soffit area? Do you have any gable end vents?
It would also be helpful if you could update your profile with your general location. That way it will display with all of your posts.

It sounds like you need some ventilation ports in the peak of the coop. One in each end will help. We installed a wall/ceiling heating register (15x25cm) from building depot store. Just cut hole in wall and screw in register. You can open or close the unit depending on need.

Pics

Attachments

• AC0E8D19-FA79-4C16-920D-65AE203FE903.jpeg
    AC0E8D19-FA79-4C16-920D-65AE203FE903.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 12
  • CC18F907-2E3E-4297-A965-725840EAC02C.jpeg
    CC18F907-2E3E-4297-A965-725840EAC02C.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 12
  • E80A2FB2-7005-417F-8FD3-35D7172A85B6.jpeg
    E80A2FB2-7005-417F-8FD3-35D7172A85B6.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 11
  • D8EF680C-72F6-4E91-B2DC-88077EC3701D.jpeg
    D8EF680C-72F6-4E91-B2DC-88077EC3701D.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 12
  • 117B26D1-1BB2-4C6A-BB8B-0F7CCAF52B0A.jpeg
    117B26D1-1BB2-4C6A-BB8B-0F7CCAF52B0A.jpeg
    862 KB · Views: 12
The tarp is keeping the moisture in. Warm moisture hits the cooler tarp, condenses and drips. The window is high and in the front of the coop and a $10 register at the back right wall and 30cm off the floor will help. Crack the window and register to remove moisture. Adjust openings to remove moisture but maintain a tolerable temperature. Cold is easier on birds then moist interior.

Back
Top Bottom