Moisture when winterizing??

dsfrango

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Stafford Springs
So I just redid my chickens sleeping quarters smaller so it would b a bit cozier for them. I know it helped a little but I'd like the best possible. I know moisture is bad(frost bite so I was wondering if anyone puts baking soda to absorb it and make it dryer. I just thought about it today and wanted to get some opinions. Thanks

Ditto. Poor ventilation leads to moisture buildup and that leads to all kinds of problems. I use de in my coop to help dry up the poop and to keep any bugs out (and off my cheeps). Works well.

I looked at some pictures you posted in another thread. It looks like you enclosed a roosting area, so you have like a little coop within a coop. Is there any ventilation in that box? I would add some at the top, if there isn't.

In St. Louis, humidity is a problem most of the year - without chickens exhaling in there. I just keep the buildings wide open so it is as close to ambient humidity as possible. I don't have fragile breeds so I don't worry about cozy.

If you are noticing excess moisture/frost in your recently "Winterized sleeping quarters", you better give serious thought to opening it back up. You are not doing the chickens any favors by sealing them up in a box in some attempt to keep them warm. You will have frostbite, and your birds may develope some resporitory problems. And baking soda is not going to help.
Jack

I had to force myself to leave a window open in my coop, it seemed so cold (so to speak) to do it but the coop is so much less humid and the birds are perfectly fine, even at outside temps near zero. The window is on the wall away from the roost, and it opens from the top to let the more humid moist air out. There is no detectable draft where the roosts are, and the coop is very comfortable temp wise, although still below freezing.

There is ventilation in the top bk of the box, when I built the coop I left a gap where the roofing(flashing) meets the walls. The space is as tall as the 2x4 holding it up along the entire bk. My chickens aren't getting any frostbite but my Roos combs were getting just a little dark on the tips. I just wanted to catch it b4 anything happens, being that it's my 1st winter with chickens

IMHO, a gap isn't ventilation. I use the rule of thumb of 1 sq. ft. per bird.
If one lives in a cold climate(like many of us), they either need to raise cold hardy breeds or have a large enough building they can heat and still elimate ventilation problems.

Quote:
Well its a 2in gap the entire length of the coop which is 16ft long. Their enclosed sleeping area is 4ft long so therefore 2inx4ft. If everyone says that's plenty of ventilation then my question is answered. Baking soda popped in my head and i no it absorbs moisture so just wanted to see if anyone has ever tried it. Thanks everyone:ya:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom