Mold/Bacteria growth inside eggs?

Copasetic

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
Indiana
Recently I have begun to notice that some of our eggs have odd looking growth(?) inside of them. In the pictures below, you can see some green spots in the white of one of our eggs, and a white irregularly shaped spot on the yolks in the other photo. We do not have a rooster, so none of these eggs are fertilized. This is our second year with the same flock and I haven't had any issues until recently. Also, I have only noticed this in the blue eggs that our 3 Easter Eggers hens lay. About half of the blue eggs I crack open, regardless of age, have the green speckles. None of the eggs from our other breeds have this. So far, I have just been tossing these eggs out when I see anything that looks unusual. We collect the eggs everyday, and even when stored in the fridge, this happens. Are these eggs actually bad? Does anyone know what this is? Should I be worried that some of my hens have a disease?

Attachments

• IMG_20220707_130558.jpg
    IMG_20220707_130558.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220707_131221.jpg
    IMG_20220707_131221.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 23
I don't see anything strange. The little green spots are tiny egg shell particles or shell pigment, it happens. There's no reason to pitch them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
Thanks for the link. I reread through all of the common problems. Would it be odd that this is only something I've only seen in the past month? The frequency of it is also something I'm not sure about. It's happening in almost every single egg that one of the Easter Eggers produce. All the hens are acting normal and healthy looking, but still wondering if this particular hen may need something? I haven't ever seen this in eggs from my Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, or Black Austrolorps.

Thanks for the link. I reread through all of the common problems. Would it be odd that this is only something I've only seen in the past month? The frequency of it is also something I'm not sure about. It's happening in almost every single egg that one of the Easter Eggers produce. All the hens are acting normal and healthy looking, but still wondering if this particular hen may need something? I haven't ever seen this in eggs from my Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, or Black Austrolorps.
Easter eggers have strange genetics, they tend have idiosyncrasies like this.

Back
Top Bottom