Mold in feed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PhlyinPheBee, Sep 16, 2010.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Yesterday I went to TC like I always do for my chicken feed. I got 2 bags of Layena pellets. Got home and took on 50# bag and loaded up my gravity feeder. When I was done and going to close the lid I saw lots of green pellets! Of course my chickens were attacking the food as I was pouring. I starting scooping it back in the to bag. My question is will it hurt them??? I could not get all of it out. I am soooooooo worried about my flock. They are my pets all with names. Thanks for reading.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Until you know 100% for sure, get it away from your birds. NOW! I just went out and checked my Layena pellets, and they are brown. I'd take the feed back. If they replace the feed, make sure it's from a different shipment.

Usually deadly, occasionally it can be treated, but very difficult and not always successful.

3. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I did it already. I even got a different brand. I am just a worry wort!!

4. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Let me guess? This was feed in the plastic bags? The problem with them is that you can't look at one and see if they have any moisture issues. [​IMG] The paper bags were much easier to "read".

Don't take the chance though. I lost a rooster to moldy food last year and a friend is treating her flock right now, in hopes of saving them. She has already had to put one down to end it's misery.

Go back to the store and politely, but firmly, tell them the issues and what you want them to do. Good luck!

5. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Good on you! Can you tell this is one of my soapbox hot buttons? [​IMG]

6. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Quote:Yes it was a plastic bag. They used to be paper!!! The production date was 7-12-10. I did not think something would bad but plastic makes sense. Thanks for that info. NO more plastic bags!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by