Mold in the run?

RAsChickens

Songster
Apr 8, 2017
Chehalis, WA with my chickens
Yesterday, I noticed the girl's feeder getting a little low. It sits on the ground under the coop. I picked it up, and there was mold under it! Anna and Gidget came over and started pecking the mold. I shooed them away and went to the storage shed, got a rake, and raked it up. I made sure it was all gone to make sure they didn't peck it. How can I prevent this from happening again? Is their any sort of chemical I can put on that spot that is safe for chickens?

Last edited:
Could you place the feeder on top of maybe two bricks..the keep the bottom of it off the ground....and the have some air go under it?
It's probably getting wet under it and not drying.

I would definitely try elevating the feeder on some bricks with gaps to allow for airflow. Also routinely clean up any spilled feed that you can as that's what is fueling the mold growth.

I've had same problem under ducks baby pool. I move it every few days but today had to dig up top layer of grass under where was sitting.It is next to impossible to keep dry and my Pekin already has trouble getting in and out cuz she is so chunky so not sure I can raise it up. It was fine til we had a few hot rainy days. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom