Mold in wood coop eaves, what to do?

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Good morning!

I'm cleaning out an old prefab coop to house my 2 two month old Mille Fleur d'Uccle pullets. I just got all the litter out, and while I was dusting out the cobwebs I noticed mold in the eaves. This is not a shock, given that I live in South Louisiana. I have Concrobium mold spray. Is it safe to use in a coop? What should I do?
20210621_071530.jpg
20210621_071535.jpg
20210621_071539.jpg
20210621_071544.jpg
20210621_071548.jpg
20210621_071558.jpg

It looks like mold from water damage. I would suspect a leak. Is that particle board? Replace with osb and ensure its water proof.
Louisiana requires a lot of ventilation due to the frequent rains and high humidity. Consider adding more if needs be but i would target the leak first and see how that does.

I agree with the above. I think that the roof has failed. You'll have to get the roof off to see if you've got water damage in the walls too.

:(
Agrees.

Post a pic of the outside of coop in the area shown in your first pic.
It looks like mold from water damage. I would suspect a leak. Is that particle board? Replace with osb and ensure its water proof.
Louisiana requires a lot of ventilation due to the frequent rains and high humidity. Consider adding more if needs be but i would target the leak first and see how that does.
I personally would just replace that area because I would want to make sure the mold wasn’t in a hidden part that I can’t see.
Well shucks. I think we are just gonna chuck this coop; it was a cheap one from TSC, the Cumberland Cottage. They've since stopped selling it.

I believe that's a prefab, walls are single thickness.
It is. I'm not sure there's any way to replace roof parts without destroying the whole thing.

The coop has very good ventilation. Louisiana is SO moist and warm that it's hard to have anything wood outside without mold.

Here's the same spot as pic #1 on the outside:
20210621_083207.jpg

It is. I'm not sure there's any way to replace roof parts without destroying the whole thing.
You could probably add a layer to top of roof,
(what does that part look like?),
but getting that dried out first would be a challenge.
Could put the whole thing under a solid roofed run.

You could probably add a layer to top of roof,
(what does that part look like?),
but getting that dried out first would be a challenge.
Could put the whole thing under a solid roofed run.
It's a black asphalt roof. This is becoming way more of an ordeal to save a (sort of janky to be honest) coop that we would only use for about 2 months. We're going to put a dog crate inside a long run we have and put the chicks in there.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Back
Top Bottom