Mold on face?

Kaiyafitness

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone,
I’ve just noticed this on one of my hens faces, her crop looks infected and she has these mold looking spots around her face. Any idea what this could be and how should I treat? Hen is well and happy other then this and she was sitting on eggs

Thanks in
Advance

Attachments

• 7533AFF3-CB5B-4FD4-B352-36CF703CC694.jpeg
    7533AFF3-CB5B-4FD4-B352-36CF703CC694.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 34
  • AFB6CD2F-3098-4607-B296-1FDC4E86219A.jpeg
    AFB6CD2F-3098-4607-B296-1FDC4E86219A.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 4
  • 4A8886E1-179F-4373-B792-17F0D9D457A2.jpeg
    4A8886E1-179F-4373-B792-17F0D9D457A2.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 5
This looks like fowl pox to me, a virus that will run its course in about 3-4 weeks.

Don't touch the lesions or try to rub or peel anything off as this would spread the disease and make it worse.
Look into her beak to see if everything inside is clear. Offer fresh scrambled eggs with fine oatmeal and millet and some banana. Sometimes there will be lesions inside as well causing pain when they try to eat, so wet mash or the above mentioned feed will help to keep them strong and fight the infection. Adding some poultry vitamins to the water is useful as well.

EDIT: Here is some more information about fowl pox https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys

Last edited:
This looks like fowl pox to me, a virus that will run its course in about 3-4 weeks.

Don't touch the lesions or try to rub or peel anything off as this would spread the disease and make it worse.
Look into her beak to see if everything inside is clear. Offer fresh scrambled eggs with fine oatmeal and millet and some banana. Sometimes there will be lesions inside as well causing pain when they try to eat, so wet mash or the above mentioned feed will help to keep them strong and fight the infection. Adding some poultry vitamins to the water is useful as well.

EDIT: Here is some more information about fowl pox https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys
Thank you so much for your response! I take it I don’t put her on antibiotics or anything?

Thank you so much for your response! I take it I don’t put her on antibiotics or anything?
Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections, but fowl pox is caused by a virus. So no antibiotics in this case.

Some people use iodine (carefully dabbed on the lesions to help dry them out faster and prevent infections from scratching or similar But be careful not to get any iodine in her eyes!

When are her chicks due to hatch?

Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections, but fowl pox is caused by a virus. So no antibiotics in this case.

Some people use iodine (carefully dabbed on the lesions to help dry them out faster and prevent infections from scratching or similar But be careful not to get any iodine in her eyes!

When are her chicks due to hatch?
Okay, the eggs were infertile so there won’t be any chicks however I do have a 4 week old chick in the flock. In the space of 12 hours I’ve caught 2 more new birds with foul pox and one of them is a rooster that doesn’t seem to be doing as fine as the hen, his eyes seem quite swollen and shut :(

Back
Top Bottom