Mold on top of Fermented Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Trina Bambina, Aug 7, 2013.

  1. Trina Bambina

    Trina Bambina In the Brooder

    Aug 23, 2012
    North Georgia
    I have only been feeding FF this week, but last night, when I went out to feed, there was a quarter inch layer of mold on top of my feed. I took it off, and the feed underneath smelled and looked fine, so I fed it and everyone seems fine, but I can't figure out why it is moldy. The batch for today was doing the same thing. (I have to buckets going, and let the feed ferment for 48 hours, feeding one bucket every day). I started the batch with milk kefir...if that makes a difference.

    Last night, I washed out the bucket and started a new batch with ACV...

    It has been SOOOO wet here, that I know I have mold in my garage (we are constantly fighting the mold...could those spores have blown into my buckets, even though they have lids mostly covering them? Should I move it somewhere else?

    Thanks for your help!

  2. OwensChickens

    OwensChickens Chirping

    May 31, 2013
    I know this post is an old post, but I am having the exact same problem. We started a 5 gallon bucket ferment feeder. We were scooping a bowl full out each day and feeding it. They loved it. We would then add some more feed and water more water. We did this for about two weeks. Came out one morning and it was moldy. We live in a dry environment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: