Mold or algae on water container

Wilmer Gehman

Songster
Jun 7, 2017
I noticed it last year and now again this year. There is a clear, sticky, filmy substance around the bottom edge of my chicken's water container. Water does not get it off, and soap did not do much either. When I sprayed it with water, the water had white goo in it. If I scrape it off, it's like white sticky goo. For the first time today, I noticed actually in the water container where the water is stored. The water reacts to it like water reacts to oil. Makes little bubbles all over it. My chicken waterer is a basic 5 gallon bucket with attached tray. I just want to make sure that this algae or whatever it is, will not harm the chickens. Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful!! Thanks.

How often do you clean the waterer?
Are you using well water or city water?
Where in the world are you located? I only see algae in summer and it is not like what you describe.

When you clean the waterer are you scrubbing it out? What cleaner do you use?

I live in Lancaster, PA. The water I use is well water. I clean the container every time it gets empty (about 2-4 days). I don't use cleaner. Just water and a scrubber.

Interesting. Do you have your well tested regularly?

I think I would start using a bit of bleach when I clean. Rinsing will be very important if using bleach.

Back
Top Bottom