moles or something??

lilchic33

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
I have two chickens and something is digging tunnels around their cage and even in their cage, what ever it is the hole are about the size of a tennis ball round, not to sure on what to do, I purchase mole products and spread it all over the ground but that does not even work, any sugestion on what it is or what I can do?

Mole products?

If it is some type of grain product then they will not work.

Moles are carnivores and only eat grubs and earth worms.

If you do have moles and want to get rid of them, then the easy way is to kill the food source and the moles will leave.

But it sounds like you have wharf rats.

something you can do is smoke them out. use a length of flexible pipe. I use the stuff that you see in service garages. its about 11' long and make a great gift for the under siege by rodents. I dig out the opening and clamp one end to the tail pipe of my vehicle. then make sure it fits into the opening of the hole in question. bury the hose well enough so the pipe and opening are not blocked. some times a chunk or wood or sheet metal are needed to support the dirt from falling in.
at that point start the car/truck/tractor and let it idle. it makes enough carbon monoxide to kill most critters in a very short time. I had such a huge ground hog problem when I moved in I was doing this every other week or so till holes quit reopening. I closed out 35 holes in 8 acres.
as for moles and ground squirrels they really don't like dog poo either. I shovel that down in the squirrel holes. they go straight down in most cases. old cooking grease is another one to use. the grease takes out their fur. its the only thing they have to stay warm with. if its matted with grease they freeze.

o really I thought that maybe it was moles digging tunnels eating their eggs or food, because they dont have eggs in their cage and at one time I found an egg in one of the holes, and what ever it is I think that maybe its getting into their food because their food is scatter everywhere in the morning, but thanks for your help Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom