Molt, Mites, Misdemeanors?

Dovya

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Hi guys - all my hens are 33 weeks old, they're all laying, and a few weeks ago most of them (not all) got fluffy butt - where their backs meet their tails the feathers got all fluffy/downy looking. I chalked it up to molting, based on some research. Today we noticed that one of them seems to have picked out a feather or two (or someone did it to her) and where one feather's been pulled out things are looking a little painful - mildly inflamed, and a bit scabby. So now I'm thinking maybe it's something else, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer by researching online. Also - is there any way I can treat the inflamed area without doing more harm than good? Any/all advice is welcome. These are my first chickens...
4123FB2F-B03A-48F4-B422-AF8FB83E54A6_1_105_c.jpeg
4123FB2F-B03A-48F4-B422-AF8FB83E54A6_1_105_c.jpeg

Are you sure you don’t have any parasites in the coop or on you’re chickens?
Are the chickens restless? Did you look with a torch at night?

Are you sure you don’t have any parasites in the coop or on you’re chickens?
Are the chickens restless? Did you look with a torch at night?
How do I figure out if I have parasites? What do I look for with a torch at night?

I normally go into the coop at night with a headlamp on. It is less stressful for everyone.
Part the feather and look for anything that quickly and I mean the move quickly away. Look under the neck, under the wings, by the vent, and on the roosts.

I normally go into the coop at night with a headlamp on. It is less stressful for everyone.
Part the feather and look for anything that quickly and I mean the move quickly away. Look under the neck, under the wings, by the vent, and on the roosts.
This is a fantastic recommendation. I will do that. Are the mites or parasites big enough to see with a naked eye?

This is a fantastic recommendation. I will do that. Are the mites or parasites big enough to see with a naked eye?
Mites you will see these brown or red spots moving out of your flashlight beam. Lice are normally white-ish and will move away also.
Another thing to look at is whether there are any eggs on the feathers under the vent. The eggs will be where the feather meets to skin. I can attach pictures of this from Google if you would like. Sometimes people are leary of looking at these pictures on Google.

And - if it is mites - do you have any recommendations for treating them?

I am hoping it isn't mites. They are a pain to get rid of but after some time, it is doable.
Permethrin will work for both mites and lice but red mites are extremely tough to get rid of. Some people can't get rid of red mites.
If you are able to get clearer pictures in the morning, I can't quite tell if the black dots on the hen is dried blood or something else. I really hoping it is just all pecking causing the issues you are seeing. :fl

I adopted a couple of hens this past summer, and they came with live. Ew.

I used permethrin spray and sprayed it right on the birds. Then I cleaned out EVERYTHING. Thoroughly. And sprayed everything. I did that again after about a week. Worked like a charm.

If it isn't lice or mites, it is more than likely molting and the injury is probably from one of the others picking at her. I had one that looked just like that about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was lice or mites and chicken friend of mine stopped by and said it was molting and that the other hens were pecking at her, so I separated her in a pet cage in the coop where they couldn't get to her. She is looking much better and has new pin feathers coming in which can be painful too. I used Vetericyn Anticeptic spray on the injury and within 2 days it was looking better. That is the best spray for any injury on chickens I have every seen.
It is called Vetericyn Poultry Care Spray. You can get it at Tractor Supply or order it on Amazon. Good Stuff. I even used it on a light frost bite on my roosters Cockscomb.

Back
Top Bottom