Molt, Mites, Misdemeanors?

I adopted a couple of hens this past summer, and they came with live. Ew.

I used permethrin spray and sprayed it right on the birds. Then I cleaned out EVERYTHING. Thoroughly. And sprayed everything. I did that again after about a week. Worked like a charm.
Interesting - okay - I'll look for permethrin spray at the feed store and clean everything out. Poor girl. I guess the other possibility is that she's being pecked; if I rule out the mites that would be the next thing to tackle.

Hi guys - all my hens are 33 weeks old, they're all laying, and a few weeks ago most of them (not all) got fluffy butt - where their backs meet their tails the feathers got all fluffy/downy looking. I chalked it up to molting, based on some research. Today we noticed that one of them seems to have picked out a feather or two (or someone did it to her) and where one feather's been pulled out things are looking a little painful - mildly inflamed, and a bit scabby. So now I'm thinking maybe it's something else, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer by researching online. Also - is there any way I can treat the inflamed area without doing more harm than good? Any/all advice is welcome. These are my first chickens...View attachment 2491279View attachment 2491279
Can you post a photo of the whole bird too?
How much space do you have in your coop/run?
Any chance you have a cockerel?

Do they have access to dirt for dust bathing?

Looking them over for lice/mites is a good idea, but I would also observe the flock interactions. I see some broken feathers.....
Could be pecking at one another. In the photo that looks like it's at the base of the tail and the little irritated nub is the preening gland - is that correct?

As mentioned they need to be able dust. If mine have to be pinned up for a while or of we get a long wet period I keep a small wash tub full of ashes mixed with dry dirt. In dry times they all frequent the fire pit and help themselves to the straight ashes. I also keep ashes and diatomaceous earth out for new arrivals before they are let out with the rest of the flock. Then they can delouse themselves if they have any hitch hikers.

I feel pretty confident that is from feather pecking. I do believe I see s little blood, correct? Take care with that, as it can lead to cannibalism quickly.
Some things to consider are crowding, boredom, and not enough protein for feather pecking causes. Good luck!

Can you post a photo of the whole bird too?

Do they have access to dirt for dust bathing?

Looking them over for lice/mites is a good idea, but I would also observe the flock interactions. I see some broken feathers.....
Could be pecking at one another. In the photo that looks like it's at the base of the tail and the little irritated nub is the preening gland - is that correct?
Hi! I just looked up preening gland and, yes, I believe that’s what it is! Now I’m more worried.
l believe they have plenty of space - we built an upstairs coop space and downstairs run with dirt to dirt bathe in :) which I love watching them do.

Then the space and hiding possibilities could be an issue. First thing to do is seperate the injured chicken to heal. And maybe improve the setup in the mean time if possible or sell a couple of birds to someone else.

How many chickens do you have? How big is you’re coop? How big is the run? Do they have access to the run as soon as the sun is up ? Can you take some pictures.

And don’t feel embarrassed if you didn’t provide enough space. Those who sell coops/runs for chickens often claim you can keep twice the number of chickens as is okay to keep them healthy and happy. Most coops have not enough ventilation too.

Some, but not all, of mine get that fluffy butt look when it's cold. Fluff butt in the morning, no fluff butt mid day when it warms up, fluff butt again when sleeping on the roost.

You could try some Blu-Kote on the broken feathers. If nothing else, it will hide the blood and keep the others from pecking at that spot.

Hi! I just looked up preening gland and, yes, I believe that’s what it is! Now I’m more worried.
l believe they have plenty of space - we built an upstairs coop space and downstairs run with dirt to dirt bathe in :) which I love watching them do.
Please post some photos of your set-up and your birds.
Also tell us what you feed including treats.
Sometimes we feel they have plenty of room, but some birds need more space so if you have the dimensions of your coop/run that would be good too.
I would recommend that you put Pine Tar on the exposed skin to hopefully reduce picking/plucking.

Back
Top Bottom