Molt or something else........

flyin-lowe

Songster
5 Years
Jan 24, 2016
Indiana
This spring I lost most of my flock to a weasel. I have 2 buffs and a barred rock left from last year and I also have 4 RIR, 3 black australorps, 2 more buffs, and 2 other barred rocks, that I bought this spring that started laying in July or so. About 2-3 weeks ago I started noticing tons of feathers and many of them molting. I went from getting 12-14 eggs a day to about 6 a week currently. I know they slow down in the winter but in the past my RIR's and rocks have still laid on a somewhat regular basis. I thought buffs also laid decent during the winter. Should I be looking at other causes or is it likely a combination of molting and winter daylight hours?

How old are your older birds? Generally they stop laying between August and December to molt. A molt takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months depending on the bird. The earliest I had one resume here is late December. Most don't start laying again until February or after, but we have harsh winters here.

Keep up the protein content of the feed, 18-20% to help them molt faster, and recover.

The older they get, the less they lay. Most lay the best during the first and second season, and production falls off after that.

This spring I lost most of my flock to a weasel. I have 2 buffs and a barred rock left from last year and I also have 4 RIR, 3 black australorps, 2 more buffs, and 2 other barred rocks, that I bought this spring that started laying in July or so. About 2-3 weeks ago I started noticing tons of feathers and many of them molting. I went from getting 12-14 eggs a day to about 6 a week currently. I know they slow down in the winter but in the past my RIR's and rocks have still laid on a somewhat regular basis. I thought buffs also laid decent during the winter. Should I be looking at other causes or is it likely a combination of molting and winter daylight hours?
Do you notice any hens that have new feather growth coming in?
How old are the ones "left from last year"?
Likely those are the ones that are molting - molting usually occurs around the age of 16-18months of age and every year thereafter. Most hens stop laying during molt.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The ones left over were hatched early last year, so they are about 18 months old or so. The new ones hatched this spring and have been laying since june or so. In the past several years I have always had them continue to lay, just not as much. Last year with 14 hens I was getting maybe 3-6 eggs a day, some days more. Right now I get one every 3-4 days or so.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The ones left over were hatched early last year, so they are about 18 months old or so. The new ones hatched this spring and have been laying since june or so. In the past several years I have always had them continue to lay, just not as much. Last year with 14 hens I was getting maybe 3-6 eggs a day, some days more. Right now I get one every 3-4 days or so.
So none are really laying eggs?
The ones that are 18 months likely are taking a break - maybe molting.
The "spring" pullets, for me, I would expect possibly a slow down, but I've always had them lay consistently through winter.
What breeds are you talking about here? Also are they confined or could they be laying in another place (hidden)?
What do you feed?

I feed 18% all flock, the breeds are RIR, black australoprs, buffs, and barred rocks. It's the same feed I've used for years. They have a large run but only free range when I am home and able to keep an eye on them, usually a couple hours an evening.

I feed 18% all flock, the breeds are RIR, black australoprs, buffs, and barred rocks. It's the same feed I've used for years. They have a large run but only free range when I am home and able to keep an eye on them, usually a couple hours an evening.
Have you ever had a fecal float to see if they have worms?
I would check everyone over for lice/mites too. While you're checking, look to see who's molting and who's not.
This time of year, production can drop off - shorter days, but the younger ones I would still expect getting some eggs from them. You have 11 that are pullets right? The Buffs aren't that prolific of layers, but for me, I would still expect at least 3 eggs a week from each of them if they started laying in late summer. The BR and RIR I would also expect them to be laying consistently - probably somewhere around 5 eggs (each) a week. The BA's probably 4-5 eggs (each) a week. Or at least that has been my experience. Not all birds and even within a "breed" is the same.

Back
Top Bottom