Molted Java seems to be going downhill

MerrieC

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 22, 2017
Bradenton, Florida
I've noticed the last couple of days she hasn't wanted to leave the coup and has only laid 1 egg a week for 2 weeks now. She is a year old and has 4 other chickens of different varieties in with her. When I let them out today, she did not come out so I went to the coup and saw her drinking. I petted her and several feathers came out with a soft touch. There are quite a bit of her feathers all over the coup as well. When she finished drinking she got up and went into the corner of the coup and basically stuck her face in the corner and won't move. I went and got my chickens favorite treat dried meal worms and she didn't even care.
Yesterday I was surprised when I saw her up on the log perch in the run but she did go out some yesterday but then went back into the coup.
I do have a golden wyandotte that is trying to brood. But she leaves the nesting box as soon as I get the egg out so I haven't had to put her in the brooding "timeout cage". And the java doesn't seem to be brooding. I'm almost afraid she might have an egg stuck although her eggs are the most narrow of all my hens.
Although my molted java is my largest hen, she seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order.
Any ideas or help is much appreciated!

She may be starting to molt, which can affect their energy and appetite. I would give her a thorough check up though. Feel inside her vent an inch or two for a stuck egg (use a disposable glove.) Pick her up and feel her breastbone for weight loss, and her crop to see if there is food in there, or if it is hard or puffy. Look her over for lice and mites (especially under her vent, or around head and neck. Make sure that she is walking okay and wings are not drooping. Give her some chopped egg, and offer her some water. Watch for her droppings. To collect some you can confine her to a dog crate on an old towel or puppy pad for a few hours or overnight. Put food and water in there.

She may be starting to molt, which can affect their energy and appetite. I would give her a thorough check up though. Feel inside her vent an inch or two for a stuck egg (use a disposable glove.) Pick her up and feel her breastbone for weight loss, and her crop to see if there is food in there, or if it is hard or puffy. Look her over for lice and mites (especially under her vent, or around head and neck. Make sure that she is walking okay and wings are not drooping. Give her some chopped egg, and offer her some water. Watch for her droppings. To collect some you can confine her to a dog crate on an old towel or puppy pad for a few hours or overnight. Put food and water in there.
Thank you for the suggestions. We will give her a good through exam. I'll have to wait for the hubby to climb under the roosting area since I'm recovering from major neck surgery. Thanks again!

thank you! I was worried about a stuck egg since she's only been doing 1 a week and today has been a week.
Should I put her in a cage by herself or just let her be if I can't find anything wrong with her?
Also I heard cat food was good for chickens losing feathers because of all the protein. Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom