Molting and artificial lighting

Lynnette in WI

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2016
I believe a few of our hens are molting. At least that's what it looks like to me. I see no lice or mites, and i don't see any pecking spots where someone is pecking at them. The black Austrolorp has been going through this since late fall. The Buff Orpington started late in November in a few areas. I had made some little aprons for them and put them on all the chickens. I was only going to keep them on for a few weeks but these two never did seem to get new feathers in, then it started getting cold so I just kept them on until just a couple weeks ago. They are eating fine, they get crumbles feed at 16% and layer feed mixed together, plus grit and oyster shells offered in their own feeders. I also give them meal worms occasionally along with some scraps.
I have been doing artificial lighting, so they have about 13 hours of light. Does the artificial lighting stall their molting process? They are making me doubt myself on what I'm doing, what should I be doing, etc.

I believe a few of our hens are molting. At least that's what it looks like to me. I see no lice or mites, and i don't see any pecking spots where someone is pecking at them. The black Austrolorp has been going through this since late fall. The Buff Orpington started late in November in a few areas. I had made some little aprons for them and put them on all the chickens. I was only going to keep them on for a few weeks but these two never did seem to get new feathers in, then it started getting cold so I just kept them on until just a couple weeks ago. They are eating fine, they get crumbles feed at 16% and layer feed mixed together, plus grit and oyster shells offered in their own feeders. I also give them meal worms occasionally along with some scraps.
I have been doing artificial lighting, so they have about 13 hours of light. Does the artificial lighting stall their molting process? They are making me doubt myself on what I'm doing, what should I be doing, etc.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! What times is the light set to turn on and when is it set to turn off? When is sunrise and sunset in your area? Sometimes artificial light can kick them into a molt because it's summer again. My hens molt in the summer usually late July early August.

Last edited:
I have the light turn around 6:30 am. and go off around 7:30. Sunrise is around 7:00 am. and sunset is around 6:00 pm.

I have the light turn around 6:30 am. and go off around 7:30. Sunrise is around 7:00 am. and sunset is around 6:00 pm.

I think it's because you're making it as if it's the first day of spring or fall. When daylight and night time are equal. Sometimes hens will molt as daylight gets shorter. Sometimes when it's fall which could have triggered it. You would have to extend daylight longer than nighttime by a few hours. Like 6:00 pm to 8 or 9 pm. Point of artificial light is to extend light by a significant amount to make trigger part of the brain to make the hens believe it's getting warmer promoting the release of more hormones than they do in winter.

So if i just stop doing the artificial light will that help them finish molting?

It could actually extend it for a couple weeks. You can get them out of a molt though by jumping the protein up though. That helps them get out of a molt faster. You could but you have to wait or increase protein for a couple weeks.

Thank you so much! I will get some tomorrow. Do i need to grind it up or just mix it in with their other food? Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you so much! I will get some tomorrow. Do i need to grind it up or just mix it in with their other food? Sorry for all the questions!

It's fine. If it's small enough chunks they might just go for it with no problems. If so grind it up and possibly mix it in their feed if they are not eating it when it's ground up.

Back
Top Bottom