Molting and distended butt

Chickspa

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2017
Eastern Pennsylvania
I know distended butt is not a technical term, but I wasn't sure how to describe it... I have a 3-year-old Ameraucana mix that is currently molting. She laid her last egg about 5 days ago just at the start of her molt, and it had a rippled shell. Her butt appears distended as though she is eggbound, but she shows no other symptoms of being egg-bound. She is not straining. She is not walking weird, she does not appear to be in any pain whatsoever. Her behavior is completely normal and she's eating normally. Should I be worried about her looking like she is eggbound?

Could you post a picture? That would help as I had a different idea what that might be but don't want to say it without seeing it.

But for now, I would give her a soak in warm Epsom salt water and see if that helps her expel anything, but if she was eggbound for the last five days, she wouldn't be alive.

Molting chickens can act strangely when molting. I have one that would be free-ranging but sit down after about every 4-5 steps, but she didn't have anything else strange like that.

Back
Top Bottom