Molting and feeding

They do need protein to grow new feathers--but if they have stopped laying eggs, they can use the same protein that would normally make eggs to make feathers now.

One of the easiest ways to give them extra protein is to feed chick starter for a while. You want it unmedicated, and you should put out a dish of oyster shell to provide calcium, because laying hens need more calcium than young chicks.

Chick starter is usually easy to get, not too expensive, tastes good to chickens, has an appropriate balance of all the nutrients chickens need, and typically has more protein than most other chicken foods. (Read the label to be sure.)

Yes, they have stopped laying. I think they are eating chick starter now as I read it was higher in protein. Interesting that you bring up oyster shell. I add it to food or put it out separately along with grit and can tell they never touch the stuff. I’m relentless and keep putting it out but no avail. I feel as if I’m wasting money but given the cost I still make it available.
thanks.

Yes, they have stopped laying. I think they are eating chick starter now as I read it was higher in protein. Interesting that you bring up oyster shell. I add it to food or put it out separately along with grit and can tell they never touch the stuff. I’m relentless and keep putting it out but no avail. I feel as if I’m wasting money but given the cost I still make it available.

Chick starter is good.

Oyster shell--keep it in its own dish, and if they don't eat it, you can just leave the same dish sitting there. It does not go bad. And if they ever do want it, they can have it :)

silly question but does the grit and oyster need to be in separate bowls or is one bowl for both ok. I have tried both ways and didn’t know if it made a difference. Thanks again.

Separate is better.

The chickens often use them at different rates, and it's easier to be sure there is enough of each kind when they are separate.

I suspect it's also easier for chickens to get the right one when they're in separate bowls, but I'm not positive about that.

Separate is better.

The chickens often use them at different rates, and it's easier to be sure there is enough of each kind when they are separate.

I suspect it's also easier for chickens to get the right one when they're in separate bowls, but I'm not positive about that.

makes sense. Thanks

Separate is better.

Didn’t think about. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom