Molting and Lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Altheian, May 17, 2014.

1. Altheian

Altheian New Egg

May 17, 2014
    I recently moved house, and took my 2 hens with me. For the first week they seemed to be doing ok, but now they are showing strange signs of possible illness.
    The house I've moved to already has 3 younger chickens, one of which I believe is a rooster.

One hen (white) has become overly lethargic. One afternoon when I checked them for mites, I was able to hold her on the ground without even a slight struggle, and when I was finished checking, she stayed in the same place for over 10 minutes, looking to be falling asleep.
    The other hen (black) has been losing her feathers. I am thinking it could just be her molting, but I noticed she has also started walking strangely, as though she is losing her balance, and she is walking by crossing her legs over sometimes to regain balance. I've attached a few photos of both hens, though the white hen's symptoms are purely behavioral.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any idea what could be causing these behaviours and physical symptoms, please let me know. Thank you!

2. mchlldickson

mchlldickson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Corona Ca
    I am having the same problem with my 4 month old buff orphington. :(

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    New soil, new strains of coccidia. Treat them both ASAP. The molting hen walking a bit funny, is normal. They feel miserably uncomfortable, and all those pin feathers coming in and getting rubbed while walking really doesn't help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by