Molting and loss of appetite

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
Is loss of appetite common when chickens molt? My three hens (2.5 years old) are all in different degrees of molt. Over the past two weeks their appetites have reduced. They aren't even tempted by their favorite foods--mealworms and scrambled eggs. I also noticed their poo has become watery. Other than these two symptoms, they seem fine. Very active, no discharge from nose or eyes. Empty crops in the morning.

I don't like to casually dismiss my girls' off behaviors, so I'm curious if others have had a similar experience with their hens at molting time?

Thanks

Yep, it’s very similar to what we’re seeing here as well - looks like it’s side effects of moulting process. We’re also seeing lighter, droopier, combs which another member of the forum raised as another normal sign. I think I’m starting to worry a lot less now!

My girls free range about 2 hours a day and I know they are still getting a good supply of bugs/worms/kale from the garden. Still, the chicken feed has not gone down much. Certainly not like during recent months.

When not laying they will eat much less,
and if they aren't feeling well due to molt, they will eat less.
Any isolating should only last a few days, after that their appetites should pick back up.
What feed are you providing...is it fresh and dry?
Watery poops could be from eating more vegetation and maybe more water.

My 7 hens are also molting. We normally go through a bag of feed in one month. The current bag is going to last two extra weeks. They are looking a bit ragged. Laying very few eggs. Otherwise they seem ok.

When not laying they will eat much less,
and if they aren't feeling well due to molt, they will eat less.
Any isolating should only last a few days, after that their appetites should pick back up.
What feed are you providing...is it fresh and dry?
Watery poops could be from eating more vegetation and maybe more water.

My chickens are molting and eating maybe 25% of normal. I hate it. One is almost all bald ( she was broody before this). I just hate this. I want them to eat. No eggs for over a week. I’ve upped protein but they don’t eat much anyways. Feathers everywhere. I did not know this about chicken keeping. I thought I’d get eggs all year. Is this every year? Too stressful

My chickens are molting and eating maybe 25% of normal. I hate it. One is almost all bald ( she was broody before this). I just hate this. I want them to eat. No eggs for over a week. I’ve upped protein but they don’t eat much anyways. Feathers everywhere. I did not know this about chicken keeping. I thought I’d get eggs all year. Is this every year? Too stressful
Pretty much, yes.

How old are your birds, in months?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

I use a 20% all flock all year around....with oyster shell on the side for the ones still laying.

They should do just fine. Our four hens are just finishing the Fall molt. Only one is laying. One still looks pretty sad. But when the feathers fill in, she will look great with those nice new feathers.

Attachments

• 1635941187290.png
    1635941187290.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom