Molting and Not eating layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ubumartin, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ubumartin

ubumartin Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Raynham, Ma
    First molt for my 3 buff orp's, they do not seem to be eating any of the layer feed. I have been giving treats but have noticed that I have not been filling the feeder hardly at all. I am not treating more than usual I don't think.
    I am getting worried but they don't seem to be starving. I just want them to get enough protein for the new feather growth. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should be wanting more to eat, not less, unless they are really miserable from the molt. If it were me I'd probably replace the feed on the chance there is something wrong with it. You said you give treats, so it might also be that they aren't about to eat regular feed if enough goodies are coming their way every day.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with withholding treats. You also might opt for a higher protein feed (maybe flock starter or game bird feed) for the duration of the molt. You can offer oyster shell or egg shells freechoice to make up for calcium, although they're probably not laying much in a molt anyhow... The extra protein can help them recover from the molt quicker...

ETA: I am "treating" extra with sunflower seeds now, for an extra protein boost...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. ubumartin

ubumartin Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Raynham, Ma
    Thanks for the advice. I will stop all treats until they seem like they are eating the feed. It is a fresh bag so I don't know what the problem is. I will just keep watching them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by