1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Dec 25, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Merry Christmas [​IMG]
    Our chickens are molting and we were wondering how long the molting lasts.

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Depends. Some chickens do the slow molt which can last upwards of four months.

And others do the Ugly Molt or fast molt where they seem to just drop all their feathers at once and push out new ones. Those can finish in under two months.

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    One of mine chickies took for ever ! I think it was 3 months. Its depends on the chickens and weather ![​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Depends.

Most common breeds take a decent 1-2 months.

Some last forever [​IMG] NONE of my Polish, no matter what lines they are or who I got them or their parents from, will molt for less than 3 months.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a line of Dels and I swear they molt over night. I've seen lots of feathers but hardly a drop in eggs. I believe but can't prove that a healthier bird has a shorter molt. I feed a high protein diet. 18-20% layer. Right now I have 21%. Hens are laying nearly 50%.

I wish you quit molts,

Rancher

6. HeatherBell

HeatherBell New Egg

Apr 6, 2011
    I think this is the first molt for my girls!! I got them last spring. So they are a little over a year old. About a week ago I started seeing lots of little fluffy feathers all over their run and a drop in egg production. I was thinking it was the heat. We have been in the upper 90's and low 100's all week. But now my white brahma has a few bald spots on her tail!
    Now I'm starting to worry because I didnt think chickens molted till fall. Anyone else have chickens who have molted in the summer? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by