molting duck being attacked

Duckieduck

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
My welsh harlequin duck was starting to mold and then also started getting attacked by the other ducks. Im not sure if they've pulled out her new feathers or old. She looks a mess, her wings totally raw and messed up. I've sprayed her with bluekot and separated her. Why would they do this? And what do I do if they're her new feathers?

So sorry to hear she got injured, definitely keep her separated for now... molting can cause irritability and a need for extra protein to replace the new feathers... are any others starting to molting? How high is the protein in their feed? A handful of a good, dry cat food can give her a boost in her protein...

My ducks are doing something similar. I have 15 total and they have been fine up until today is when I first noticed it and they are pushing one of the white ones out and running him/her off by themself. I don't know if it's a he or she. This is the first time I have had ducks and they were inherited from my father . My son didmention around the white one is when he sits there's a lot of little feathers does this mean that this particular duck is molting? So far there are no injuries to this duck or any other duck what is your suggestion at this point? Should I separate him/her with a couple of others that he/she gets along with?

My ducks are doing something similar. I have 15 total and they have been fine up until today is when I first noticed it and they are pushing one of the white ones out and running him/her off by themself. I don't know if it's a he or she. This is the first time I have had ducks and they were inherited from my father . My son didmention around the white one is when he sits there's a lot of little feathers does this mean that this particular duck is molting? So far there are no injuries to this duck or any other duck what is your suggestion at this point? Should I separate him/her with a couple of others that he/she gets along with?

Sounds like molting too... couldn't hurt to separate that one with a couple buddies to stop the picking and bullying...

I have 6 girls and 1 boy. Two of the girls and the boy are runners and are about 8 or 9 months old, then I have 2 blue Swedish and a harlequin (the injured one) who I adopted and was told they were 1 (a year ago) but they seem much much older to me in comparison to my little ones, their feathers are quite bedraggled and the blue Swedish have bottoms that almost drag on the ground. Then I have a muscovy who I also adopted and is probably about 3 years old.

are any others starting to molting? How high is the protein in their feed? A handful of a good, dry cat food can give her a boost in her protein...

My muscovy just finished molting, and the babies are too little (8 months), so I have three who may and only the harlequin is so far. I think there is 16% protein, so I will get higher, or some cat food. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom