Molting ducklings

sophiafur

Chirping
May 22, 2020
My 6 week old welsh harlequin ducklings has now got alot of wing feathers and speckales, is this the last molt? and when will i be able to tell the gender by the adult feathers?

No, they'll molt a few more times. As far as I know you won't be able to tell until mating season. My experience is based off my Rouens. I know I have a boy and girl but they both have brown feathers. You can voice sex them at around six weeks

No, they'll molt a few more times. As far as I know you won't be able to tell until mating season. My experience is based off my Rouens. I know I have a boy and girl but they both have brown feathers. You can voice sex them at around six weeks
so around what age will i be able to tell by feathering?

Somewhere around 4-5 months. At about this time you should be able to tell by their quacks. Females make the quacking we're all familiar with. Males have a quiet raspy voice.

Post a picture please. There are occasions that you can tell when they are younger.
They will molt again around 10-12 weeks. When they finished they will have the adult feathers (around 16 weeks) Then you'll get your answer, but typically the drake feather pops up around 13-14 weeks. So you are almost half way there. 6-8 weeks is perfect for voice sexing.

Post a picture please. There are occasions that you can tell when they are younger.
They will molt again around 10-12 weeks. When they finished they will have the adult feathers (around 16 weeks) Then you'll get your answer, but typically the drake feather pops up around 13-14 weeks. So you are almost half way there. 6-8 weeks is perfect for voice sexing.
thats chip, what do you think?

Can you get a picture of the face, The bill can be tell tale sometimes, and the feathers leading to the tail as well. (Top side, not bottom) and also let me know where you got this duckling from.

Back
Top Bottom