Molting ducklings

Looking more closely the bill is light in color. And from what I know could actually be male. Some females have them too. Only thing I can say for sure is listen to their quacks.
i was hoping a male the other 3 females honk alot but chips 2 weeks older and stillhasn't honked.Are khaki campbells and welsh harlequin a good breed to breed eachother with, would people want to buy the breed mixed?

IF it is male and you cross them you will get almost entirely brown babies. Welsh are somewhat related to Khaki, and the Khaki (mallard) coloring is dominant. No one would know the difference. I wouldn't sell them as show bird surely but as laying ducks they will sell.

I'd love for you to post each week so we can see the changes. Right now I'm inclined to say female. This next week or two is going to be the change with feet and bill if it is a male. It also will be the time that a later blooming female will get it's quack. Has the bill always been lighter around the face? Does it have a green color to it where it's lighter?

IF it is male and you cross them you will get almost entirely brown babies. Welsh are somewhat related to Khaki, and the Khaki (mallard) coloring is dominant. No one would know the difference. I wouldn't sell them as show bird surely but as laying ducks they will sell.

I'd love for you to post each week so we can see the changes. Right now I'm inclined to say female. This next week or two is going to be the change with feet and bill if it is a male. It also will be the time that a later blooming female will get it's quack. Has the bill always been lighter around the face? Does it have a green color to it where it's lighter?
that was chip younger... do people do things with ducks where you can bring the female to a male? like if chip was a female and someone had a welsh harlequin male could i bring chip over so the next morning the eggs would be fertilised? or does it not like that

Oh - well now... that changes things.
You'll have to keep posting back. I'm willing to bet in the next 10-14 days it will be clear.

I'm excited to watch your baby mature!

Oh - well now... that changes things.
You'll have to keep posting back. I'm willing to bet in the next 10-14 days it will be clear.

I'm excited to watch your baby mature!
so am i! one quick question, how can you tell the gender of khaki campbells?

so am i! one quick question, how can you tell the gender of khaki campbells?
1. Vent sexing (within a few days of hatching)
2. Fluff color (lighter color generally female)
3. Voice sexing (around 6 weeks old, females quack, males have low raspy voice)
4. Bill sexing (khaki drakes have yellow bills, females can too)
5. Feathers (at roughly 4-5 months of age. drakes have a greenish head)

While young (fluffy) Vent sexing (and you can hurt them if it's done wrong) is the only sure way to tell. Only problem is there is a learning curve. You'll have to sell them as straight run or find someone that can show you what to look for.
Otherwise vaoice by 10 weeks and the drake feather and green head start to show with the second molt - around 12-16 weeks.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom