Molting hen having a hard time pooping.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bucky52, Oct 7, 2016.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have a older hen that is almost through her molt.I noticed a few weeks ago she was having a hard tine pooping.when she did it was little and hard.I mixed in some molasses in their water
    as I had read that would help.I see very little poo if any where she roost at night. I did my molasses and water mix again this morning. I thought maybe the grower feed I switch them to when they started their molt. May be the cause. I took them off of that and started them on flock raiser. I still see no difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may need more fluids if she is not drinking well. Sometimes I will mix a little plain yogurt (for probiotics and taste) with dry feed, and pour in a lot of water to make a thin mixture. Most of my chickens dive into it. You could also try a 1/2 tsp of either castor oil or mineral oil, but you might give the molasses some time first.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    thank you.I will try the yogurt. in the feed.I occasionally give them yogurt and they gobble it down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by