Molting hen pecked to death??

Didn't realize no one carried the hardware cloth I need to finish their pen.:( So I got some coyote urine spray that I've heard is supposed to ward off smaller predators like weasels, minks, and opposums, which we have in abundance here. Thought they were only a problem at night, but I guess this one knows they have to dine during the day to get tasty chicken. We spent more time outside today and everyone is safely locked up for the night. They acted so scared today, I had to coax them out of the coop and from under the bushes. They usually follow me around like little ducklings. Finally got them to eat after 3 days.

Lowes and Home Depot are usually good places to find hardware cloth locally. Online you might find some in larger amounts.

I did purchase some online, but may take 3-8 days to come in. Hoping the scent spray will work in the meantime, I know that's not a permanent solution.

ep.gif
hit.gif
somad.gif
I am very protective of my chickens and my friends chickens; that is my explaination for the angry face.
Definitely get some hardware cloth ASAP. You should probably give your run a cover, too, as tiny predators like that can climb. Chech your coop for holes, too. If there is a way in, a weasel will find it. I have heard stories of weasels trying to drag whole chickens out holes three inches wide, so they aren't weaklings either.
The coyote pee should work for quite some time. I hope you don't lose anymore!
fl.gif

We lost a total of 5 girls. Finally found the culprit tho! A hawk has been flying into the coop and getting them as they go to lay. Was walking up to the coop and pen and saw this huge hawk waltz out of the little pop door. Definitely will cover the run! :eek: We've hung up cds and my husband shot at it to scare it away. Haven't seen it since and the girls are starting to get comfortable again. Thank goodness cause the run is taking longer than anticipated to finish. Stinks when family live 2 hrs away and you and your hubby work opposite shifts. Makes getting big projects done so much slower. :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom