Molting hen

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
So I know heating the coop is a no go. My main worry is one of my girls is going through a rough molt and we are going to be in the 20s for the foreseeable future. Our coop is well ventilated and their roost are not the way of any breeze. Is there anything I should do for her or should she be fine? They're only 9 months so I didnt expect a molt yet but shes definitely going through one and hasnt laid in over a month.

So I know heating the coop is a no go. My main worry is one of my girls is going through a rough molt and we are going to be in the 20s for the foreseeable future. Our coop is well ventilated and their roost are not the way of any breeze. Is there anything I should do for her or should she be fine? They're only 9 months so I didnt expect a molt yet but shes definitely going through one and hasnt laid in over a month.
Do you see pin feathers coming in?
I had a hen go through a hard molt when it was in the 20s and she was fine. Some of mine like to hide out in the nest boxes but it's more because they are insecure and uncomfortable than trying to stay warm.

Do you see pin feathers coming in?
I had a hen go through a hard molt when it was in the 20s and she was fine. Some of mine like to hide out in the nest boxes but it's more because they are insecure and uncomfortable than trying to stay warm.
Yes, I see a lot around her neck and have seen a ton of sheaths. I first thought she had mites or lice because she was constantly shaking her head and looking super thin but once I checked her out I didnt see any bugs but tons of pin feathers.

What is a pin feather? One of my girls has something going on with her neck and I don't know if it is molting or something else.

Attachments

• 20201130_135536.jpg
    20201130_135536.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 10
So I know heating the coop is a no go. My main worry is one of my girls is going through a rough molt and we are going to be in the 20s for the foreseeable future. Our coop is well ventilated and their roost are not the way of any breeze. Is there anything I should do for her or should she be fine?
She'll be fine.

What is a pin feather?
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...VGX60KHaMXDbEQ_AUoAnoECA4QBA&biw=1390&bih=689

Back
Top Bottom