Molting in fall?

Chi-square

In the Brooder
May 13, 2022
I have 3 White Chinese Geese (2 ganders and 1 goose). They are losing lots of feathers. I live in the southwest and except for a brief cold spell where temps dropped into the low 30’s the avg high is 77 and the avg low is in the 40’s right now. My geese eat grass and Mazuri Maintenance with a few treats (lettuce and a little chicken scratch). What could be the reason for their premature molting? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Thank you Rose the Legbar. My chickens are molting as well. I just thought since the geese did a huge molt in April, this was a bit soon. Last time they saw the vet she said they were the healthiest geese she’s ever seen, so maybe I am over thinking this.

Would love to show you the feathers from my 30 geese seems one just comes back from molt and another one starts. Tomarrow is clean the stalls day. first inch will fly away. My geese do seem to go into molt 2 times a year. All at different times.

Would love to show you the feathers from my 30 geese seems one just comes back from molt and another one starts. Tomarrow is clean the stalls day. first inch will fly away. My geese do seem to go into molt 2 times a year. All at different times.
Thank you so much! I tried to do some research on the web, and every site I read said that Geese molt early summer—nothing about molting at different times or more than once a year. And yes, all these feathers, from chickens and geese, are driving me nuts!

@Chi-square
how is it working out for you with 2 ganders and one goose?
I started out with that same combination and had to rehome one of my ganders.
My two ganders, Ryan and Coco, are best friends. My goose Cheerio is a sweet girl, but not so nice to Ryan during mating season. I’m sorry you had to re-home a gander. That had to be hard. Fingers crossed, my ganders stay good friends.

Thank you so much! I tried to do some research on the web, and every site I read said that Geese molt early summer—nothing about molting at different times or more than once a year. And yes, all these feathers, from chickens and geese, are driving me nuts!
Molting has nothing to do with heath its just a process. "If you see patches of feathers not cumming back then you have a problem". My older geese 2 plus molt about 2 times a year one is a heavy molt one is minor. My babies are all over the place. You have the young feathers that come in when the first feather that they have to get rid of so there adult feathers can come in then you have the OMG feathers of becoming a adult. Still remember the day my son was sitting on the porch with me saying someone has a cottonwood tree around here. I replied no just goose down.

Molting has nothing to do with heath its just a process. "If you see patches of feathers not cumming back then you have a problem". My older geese 2 plus molt about 2 times a year one is a heavy molt one is minor. My babies are all over the place. You have the young feathers that come in when the first feather that they have to get rid of so there adult feathers can come in then you have the OMG feathers of becoming an adult. Still remember the day my son was sitting on the porch with me saying someone has a cottonwood tree around here. I replied no just goose down.
I can only imagine the amount of feathers 30 geese leave everywhere! It makes sense that loss of feathers with re-growth would just be a natural process. I’m so thankful for the years of knowledge and willingness for people to share what they know.

I can only imagine the amount of feathers 30 geese leave everywhere! It makes sense that loss of feathers with re-growth would just be a natural process. I’m so thankful for the years of knowledge and willingness for people to share what they kn
I just wish there was a way to blow or suck then into a collector. Wash them and enjoy all there goodness. But mostly the song birds use them in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom